XF 1.2 Forum suddenly very very slow at times

SW48

I moved my forum to a new hostgator server about 6 months ago. Everything was going great until two days ago when the forum became very very slow at times. Other times it is ok.

I put a trouble ticket in with hostgator but they say they can't find anything wrong.

They pointed me to:
http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.politicaljack.com/oN7cYzQi

To optimize but I really have no idea what these things are or how to do them.

The site at times loads pages just fine. I think its on their end but they say no eventhough when I have support on chat the guy on chat agrees its slow and then fast then slow.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks for your help.
DW

That would normally indicate high server load. On a shared server, you're at the mercy of the other sites on the server as well, so it could be something like that.

Looking at your site, I see over 1 million posts. Is this actually a shared server?

I also see various add-ons. I would disable the add-ons first to see if that makes a difference. But beyond that, with 1 million posts, there's a definite possibility that MySQL would need to be optimized to hold that much data. Out of the box, MySQL needs to be optimized if it's being given a large amount of data.

That would normally indicate high server load. On a shared server, you're at the mercy of the other sites on the server as well, so it could be something like that.

Looking at your site, I see over 1 million posts. Is this actually a shared server?

I also see various add-ons. I would disable the add-ons first to see if that makes a difference. But beyond that, with 1 million posts, there's a definite possibility that MySQL would need to be optimized to hold that much data. Out of the box, MySQL needs to be optimized if it's being given a large amount of data.

It is a shared server but never had an issue with speed until two days ago.

I would ask your host what happened 2 days ago. They should be able to see load levels and make determinations then.

You can use the batch thread update tool to delete many threads at once, but you may want to see if your host can determine anything first.

I would ask your host what happened 2 days ago. They should be able to see load levels and make determinations then.

You can use the batch thread update tool to delete many threads at once, but you may want to see if your host can determine anything first.

I don't see where there is a batch update tool under tools in xenforo?

While MySQL is the most likely cause, it may not be the issue, deleting threads is so permanent.

Using web console dns resolution and connect times seemed very long - this is not an XF issue. I'd seriously consider changing hosts to somewhere where you have control and dont have to worry about being on a shared box and suffering other peoples problems, eg a $20 month box at Digital Ocean.

While MySQL is the most likely cause, it may not be the issue, deleting threads is so permanent.

Using web console dns resolution and connect times seemed very long - this is not an XF issue. I'd seriously consider changing hosts to somewhere where you have control and dont have to worry about being on a shared box and suffering other peoples problems, eg a $20 month box at Digital Ocean.

I agree with Jim Boy a change would probably work.

I called hostgator and they said it was 100% not my websites fault for the slowing that they saw it was other sites on the server that were not mine. A day later they closed the ticket saying the speed issues were plugins on my xenforo site. I hired a programmer, he said it was the other sites on the hostgator server.

I'm not sure who to believe.

Is there anyone here that could diagnos and fix my periodic slowing issues on my website?

First, find a new host. With that many posts why go cheap and stay with hostgator? Shared hosting is really for small, fresh sites with little traffic.

If you're not into the tech side of the forum and want to have everything taken care of for you, I would get a managed host and have someone setup the site and optimize it for you. ServInt is a good managed provider that I use for one forum. I work in IT so I'm personally moving everything unmanaged very soon for many reasons.

I'm not sure who to believe.

Is there anyone here that could diagnos and fix my periodic slowing issues on my website?

I can guarantee you the issue is the server environment. You've outgrown Hostgator and deleting threads is the wrong way to go about things. Whilst you're not that big a forum, I dare say your advertising revenue would easily cover the expense of a slightly more expensive service, eg $20 a month. Go to somewhere like AWS, Digital Ocean or Linode

Top Bottom