1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum speed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Martijn, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Martijn

Martijn Member

I've 2 websites using Xenforo. (for example www.goochelaars.com )
    Very happy with the software, but the speed isn't as good as here on xenforo.com
    I'm using shared hosting and I think that my provider is the problem.
    I"m looking for a good website to do some tests, so I can go back to my provider and show them the results. Any tips ?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If you're on shared hosting then you can compare it to my site which is also on shared hosting.

Ultimately though, it's shared hosting so it's never going to be as good as a VPS or dedicated server (assuming the hardware is adequate).
  3. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

What do you use for the Countdown on the sidebar?
  4. Floris

Floris Guest

Doing a traceroute shows no issues, doing a ping from 3 different providers shows no issues (incidental spike from 8ms to 21ms but that's it).

I suspect the server load being more than it should be .. You could test this with a script like loadCheck.php in your public_html directory, with content:
    (note that this script wont run if the server runs in safe_mode on)
    but worth a try.
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

6. Floris

Floris Guest

btw, in the NL for shared hosting i use xxlwebhosting.nl - for 6+ years now.
  7. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

On our host, the script won't run because shell_exec needs to run as a logged in user, as opposed to user "nobody" on Apache. Not sure how true this is at other hosts, though. Just in case someone tries to use this.