1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Signature rules

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Business Coach, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Business Coach

Business Coach Active Member

Just looked at realized how obnoxious I made my own signature[​IMG] (it doesn't seem so bad in the editor, but in posts this is crazy)

whats the forum guidlines on this?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There are no rules yet, other than common sense and respect for other members :)

3. Business Coach

u think mine is too big???

or is it just me?

i mean I WANT it to stand out, but not be gaudy - lol

4. Brogan

I have signatures turned off, you can probably guess why... ;)

5. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

lol how the software handles or i should say doesnt handle signatures is a definite problem atm.. I went from spending most my time fixing my vB4 forum to spending most of my time removing ridiculously over sized sigs on XF.. It really is one thing that drives me crazy.
    I wish i could do that now (on my forum).. had i known at the beginning there wasn't a way to automagically set sig limits i would have just disabled signatures to begin with..

6. Business Coach

wait - you have the ability to NOT see other peoples signatures??

7. Brogan

8. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

Yes.
    You can turn off viewing sigs as posted above.

I think 11 lines in a sig where 4 of them is promoting a commercial business is too much.
    But it ain't my forum.
    Once we have an ignore feature, I don't think this will matter as much.

9. Edrondol

Edrondol Well-Known Member

Damn, dude. Harsh. We need to find our mellow again around here.

10. Business Coach

I have significantly modified my sig, it is now no higher than those that have a sig with an image

11. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Personally I'd remove all the ===== stuff as it doesn't even line up anyway.

Something like this would look a lot better imo:

$1 XEN Forum Hosting - first month! + Money Back Guarantee | FORUM MODERATOR - GET PAID $20/mo

12. steven s

I think it bothers me because of the repeated sigs. Maybe if sigs where limited to one a page it wouldn't be so bad [for me].
    That would help.
    And a smaller font size.

13. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

I have that as a template edit on my vB forum. Should be fairly trivial to also get done on XF. I'll see if I can get that done if nobody beats me to it.

14. Business Coach

thanks - i will compromise with you

RobParker and steven s like this.
  15. steven s

It's not a problem on my vB forums and won't be a problem on forums in general since the forum owner would set the rules.
    When someone has a problem with a sig on my vB3 forum other members generally let that person know and it's corrected.
    It's usually corrected before I even notice it.
    Hobby forums can get away with peer to peer monitoring.

16. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

It's one of the few things that really destroy what this forum tried to achieve (focus on content) and I have to say with it's generous rules (which there aren't any) the focus is always on the signature rather than content.

Personally I think it's ridiculous at some of the signatures allowed on here. Quite a few of them are longer than the posts themselves.

steven s likes this.
  17. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

One of the problems members here have is reducing the size of their signature because of the limitations in the CMS at the moment, I tried to reduce the size of my font a few times, but when I did it was so tiny that it did not work.

18. RobParker

19. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

That's what it is.

You can call it an interface if you wish.

20. RobParker

You're wrong but fair enough.