Browser issue  Forum search displays drop down suggestions that don't make sense

Digital Doctor

Latest chrome.
I get this list of suggestions when I search.
As you seen the suggestions don't make sense.
They also get in the way of me clicking [ ] search titles only.

This is a problem in chrome only. I only seem to get it on this one computer.
Any idea ?

There are workarounds: [Tab] makes the suggestions go away.

Attachments

• search.bug.same.list.appears.when.searching.chrome.not.firefox.webp
    search.bug.same.list.appears.when.searching.chrome.not.firefox.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 12
I have that same problem. Not the strange suggestions, but the fact that it's *constantly* getting in the way of my selecting [] search titles only.
Sometimes I remember to select [] search titles only before putting in my search string, but most of the time I start putting in the search string and, upon reflection, decide that I'll get a much better result if I just look for titles. Not a deal breaker, but it's annoying. :)

I believe this is browser functionality related to stored field information.

Click on Tools -> Under the Bonnet -> Clear browsing Data -> Clear saved Auto-fill form data

I have seen this before, but our HTML actually seems to try to prevent it (results="0", which is WebKit specific). Of course, I'm not seeing it right now, though that HTML has been in there for many months...

I'm not sure if there's much else we can do. (Maybe we can kill auto-complete entirely, though I don't think that's worthwhile.)

I was able to delete all my old entries.
I when thru the entire alphabet by:

typing a:
seeing which entries showed up
delete them all
typing b:
... etc

and now they are all gone.
I *think* the latest chrome also gave me less problems ...
as when I typed x ... the only suggestion given was xenforo.
whereas in the picture above ... typing x ... gave non-sensical suggestions.

Is this still happening? I've not noticed it - I get standard auto-complete suggestions now.

This can happen to any <input type="text"></input> tag ;)

That isn't (x)HTML valid, Not all HTML tags have the closing one's only ones with data within. (Such as DIV, P, STRONG, etc).

For instance, there really would be any need to open that tag because you put all the data within a value tag.

<input type="text" value="test" />

That isn't (x)HTML valid, Not all HTML tags have the closing one's only ones with data within. (Such as DIV, P, STRONG, etc).

For instance, there really would be any need to open that tag because you put all the data within a value tag.

<input type="text" value="test" />

Hah, lolz, you're right :P
Not that I don't know, but yeah, mistake :P

Top Bottom