Forum Runner acquired by Internet Brands

Dang, I am out of the loop for a few months (job search, etc.) and totally missed this announcement.

Had I known IB acquired Forum Runner, I'd have stopped recommending it to everyone. I dislike Tapatalk enough that I try to discourage anyone from using it (yet I still have to keep the plugin code running, so users can still get to the forum).

Just more reason to be anxious for an XF mobile version...it'll be done right, with no additional phone/tablet apps needed. Then I can delete Forum Runner from my phone, like I did Tapatalk...

Dang, I am out of the loop for a few months (job search, etc.) and totally missed this announcement.

Had I known IB acquired Forum Runner, I'd have stopped recommending it to everyone. I dislike Tapatalk enough that I try to discourage anyone from using it (yet I still have to keep the plugin code running, so users can still get to the forum).

Just more reason to be anxious for an XF mobile version...it'll be done right, with no additional phone/tablet apps needed. Then I can delete Forum Runner from my phone, like I did Tapatalk...
Yeah but that kills the revenue stream for those of us who sell apps to our site...

From what I've heard, XF is building a mobile STYLE, not an app. Mobile style doesn't give you push notifications etc.

From what I've heard, XF is building a mobile STYLE, not an app. Mobile style doesn't give you push notifications etc.

I dislike making users install any app to visit a site I develop--making end users take an extra step to view content is counter-intuitive. Mobile views should be automatic when accessed via the browser; plus, many "apps" out there are nothing more than a shortcut to the web version anyway (often in a simplified "Internet-for-dummies" browser).

Email notifications are all the "push" I need. I don't need some app pestering me when I get a private conversation when I already have email barking at me about it (especially when email is the primary reminder I depend on while not on a mobile device). It might be nice for some users but I hardly see it as a necessity. And I certainly will never install Tapatalk's shoddy app on my devices ever again to get that luxury.

The WordPress themes I'm using now come with an automatic mobile version; XF needs this also, and quickly. I'd pony up $50 for it just like the ElasticSearch add-on, just to make the experience that much more easy.

You aren't "making" them. It's an extra option.

That's true I'm not making users install Forum Runner, Tapatalk, etc., but if the only usable mobile choices are apps to view the forum, then I don't like it. Mobile views (aka style, theme, whatever) in today's modern systems should be 1) present and 2) automatic to any mobile device that visits. XF has no native mobile view to it, short of installing an app. And using XF on a smartphone browser is painful at best--it was designed with a desktop interface in mind, not mobile. So many sites today have mobile views loading automatically--that's where I'm most interested in development. And that's how I roll when I develop a site these days--the theme must support mobile, or it gets zero consideration from me.

I hate mobile styles, especially since they don't give you added functionality over the full site. IMO with today's phones the full style works best.

I hate mobile styles, especially since they don't give you added functionality over the full site. IMO with today's phones the full style works best.
This is untrue.

A good mobile style should be just as usable and functional as the default desktop design. The issue is that most places give you a dumb downed experience, which has created a negative vision of what a mobile style is.

Responsive designs showcase desktop to netbook to tablet to mobile designs best: http://mediaqueri.es/

Apps generally have less functionality than a mobile style would have, because it requires additional development, and the apps are supporting many platforms, rather than just a singular one.

This is untrue.
Matter of opinion.
Apps generally have less functionality than a mobile style would have, because it requires additional development, and the apps are supporting many platforms, rather than just a singular one.
Hey at least TapaTalk lets me multi-quote. :rolleyes:

(IMO) I just don't really see a benefit of having a mobile style over an app (if the full style isn't an option.). If I'm using my phone's browser I want the website's full style, otherwise I'll use an app.

Matter of opinion.

Hey at least TapaTalk lets me multi-quote. :rolleyes:

(IMO) I just don't really see a benefit of having a mobile style over an app (if the full style isn't an option.). If I'm using my phone's browser I want the website's full style, otherwise I'll use an app.
The whole 'untrue' part was about how it doesn't provide the full functionality of the site. The site I posted (http://mediaqueri.es) shows many examples of mobile sites that are restructured from the main design.

The only difference between a mobile style and a desktop style should be the structure, and interactions made compatible with touch events and gestures. Features should remain the same, and the user experience should be similar to the main style.

The whole 'untrue' part was about how it doesn't provide the full functionality of the site. The site I posted (http://mediaqueri.es) shows many examples of mobile sites that are restructured from the main design.

The only difference between a mobile style and a desktop style should be the structure, and interactions made compatible with touch events and gestures. Features should remain the same, and the user experience should be similar to the main style.
I'm referring to forums, I've yet to see a mobile style for a forum that doesn't loose functionality.

In all honesty I do view a couple news sites via their mobile site as it's just static content. Plus they tend to go over the top with ads etc.

Top Bottom