Forum Rules

Forum Rules [Paid] 1.3.0

No permission to buy (£15.00)

nanocode

nanocode submitted a new resource:

Forum Rules - Set up per-forum rules to ensure your users are aware of them, and acknowledge them.

Forum Rules by nanocode allows you to set up per-forum rules to ensure your users are aware of them, and acknowledge them.

This is incredibly useful for certain forums that have specific rules associated to them, or to reiterate global rules that are specifically important in a certain section.

Features:
  • Create rules per forum and sticky the rules permanently at the top of the forum to ensure that users are always reminded of them.
  • Force users to accept the rules for a...

Read more about this resource...

This would be really useful for us if it were developed out a bit more, particularly for requiring users view and accept the rules in specific nodes before creating threads (rather than viewing).

This would be really useful for us if it were developed out a bit more, particularly for requiring users view and accept the rules in specific nodes before creating threads (rather than viewing).
The specific node part is available, just not the creating threads part. If you can compromise on that aspect, the add-on may support your needs.

But certainly, we'll consider extending the scope.

Is there an option to have the forum rules dismissed once they are set. Example say someone has read and agreed to the forum rule, can it then not be shown?

Love the add-on already.

One upgrade I'd love to have: Force read the rules for the entire forum. I know Xenforo sorta offers this option but since we can't edit those terms of service, this would be a very neat option to have via an add-on.

One upgrade I'd love to have: Force read the rules for the entire forum. I know Xenforo sorta offers this option but since we can't edit those terms of service, this would be a very neat option to have via an add-on.
I believe XenForo already forces you to tick a checkbox during registration to say you've agreed. Course, a lot of people might not click the link, but it may be more suitable just to edit that template and throw the terms (by outputting the phrase) into a textbox on the registration page (so it can be scrolled and doesn't take up the entire page).

I feel that'd work better as a template modification like the above, and it can be done solely with just XenForo.

How do you make it so people have to accept in order to even see the forum. The document url doesn't work so there's no help for this.
  • Force users to accept the rules for a forum before they can view the forum.
I see where you can add it to an individual section, but not for the whole forum itself. I need it so when you go to the website you HAVE to accept in order to see the website itself as stated in that quote.

Last edited:
How do you make it so people have to accept in order to even see the forum. The document url doesn't work so there's no help for this.

I see where you can add it to an individual section, but not for the whole forum itself. I need it so when you go to the website you HAVE to accept in order to see the website itself as stated in that quote.
Could you please open a ticket for support here: https://nanocode.io/contact

nanocode updated Forum Rules with a new update entry:

Re. Support and updates period

We currently include 12 months complimentary support and updates with all license purchases. As of 1 May 2019, this will change to a 6 month period. As usual, it will be possible to renew licenses to extend the support and updates period.

Customers who have purchased licenses already, or purchase before 1 May 2019, will still have the standard 12 month support and updates period.

Read the rest of this update entry...

After a member has agreed to the rules everything (but the button) still shows.

rules.webp

How do we remove so it doesn't show once they agree?

After a member has agreed to the rules everything (but the button) still shows.

View attachment 217009

How do we remove so it doesn't show once they agree?
It's currently shown all the time, even if they accept it (though the 'accept' button is hidden), as a reminder of forum-specific rules (as they can be easily forgotten). I'd imagine this is the best way to handle it, and it allows for a reference to the forum rules as well if required. Honestly, personally I frequent so many sites I can't remember the rules for any of them, so it's fairly logical and mirrors the kind of implementation other software with this feature do.

That said, it isn't difficult to add in a way to hide it on acceptance if desired. I'd probably be able to add it in if you really want it.

It's currently shown all the time, even if they accept it (though the 'accept' button is hidden), as a reminder of forum-specific rules (as they can be easily forgotten).
We're old school, that's what moderators are for :D If they agree and break the rules they get a warning. If they break them again they get banned.

it allows for a reference to the forum rules
Again, old school, that's what sticky threads are for. No need to have the rules clutter up the look of the forum and stick out like a sore thumb all the time. That said, to each his own. We'd much prefer to simply make them aware that there are rules that need to be followed, have them agree, and then have the forum look normal again. We plan to have a link at the top of the forum, and also in the FAQ section if they ever need to see the rules again.

it isn't difficult to add in a way to hide it on acceptance if desired. I'd probably be able to add it in if you really want it.

YES PLEASE (y) I'd really appreciate it!!! Maybe something as easy as a conditional would work? For example, if don't agree then show rules. If agree then don't show?

THANK YOU for looking into this.

YES PLEASE (y) I'd really appreciate it!!! Maybe something as easy as a conditional would work? For example, if don't agree then show rules. If agree then don't show?
Looking at this, I've decided to treat it as a bug. The wording of the forum conditional option implies that it shouldn't be shown on the forum list for the "forced acceptance" option.

Take a look at version 1.1.0 released above, should hopefully fix the issue for you :)

As a sidenone: I'd recommend using the support system (https://nanocode.io/contact) in future, as responses will be faster.

Seems the same as the old version (doesn't remove rules).

Will post support question on your forum linked above.

BTW, under Select a Product - Forum Rules is not listed....

Seems the same as the old version (doesn't remove rules).

Will post support question on your forum linked above.

BTW, under Select a Product - Forum Rules is not listed....
Believe this query has been resolved. Thanks for pointing out that Forum Rules isn't listed on the support product list - that's been added.

Top Bottom