Forum Permissions

HoddzDJ

I have looked through some of the permissions for the forum and they look pretty basic, but I can't get it to work properly!!

I have set up the permissions in all sorts of ways, but I want only Admins to be able to start a thread, and everyone else to be able to add replys if they wish to do so. It's for an Announcements section, just like here on xF, but as I say I can't get it to work!! I gave up in the end, and reset everything back so don't have any screen-shots of what I did.

I hope someone can explain it a little =]!

I have read through that, and can't make any sense of it!! I have put Allow on everything for the Administrators, but I can't post a new topic when I don't allow Registered Users to add a thread. Totally confused!!

From that thread, I think you want this:

Creating a private forum

Because of the way Revoke works in xenForo you shouldn't use it to restrict a private forum. Instead you should use a special feature in xenForo called Private node. You will see the Private node checkbox when editing the permissions for a specific node. This basically inverts the permissions so that you can specify Allowed groups instead of Revoked groups. This is actually better for group management if you add more groups later.

Admin CP -> Users -> Permissions -> Node Permissions -> [select a forum] -> Private node

I don't really want to make it Private, I just want Admins to be the only usergroup to be able to create/start new threads. Then everyone can post replies, just not start them =S!! From what I understand, making it Private will mean it's hidden from those who can't see it?

It will work for an Announcement forum too. Mark it private and then explicitly specify which groups have what permissions. For Administrative you would likely enable all permissions in that forum. For Registered you would enable everything except posting new threads. When you mark it as private then you only have to specify Allowed permissions. Then anyone in an Allowed group will have that access.

That has just twigged, and I have just started to do it!! I have ticked the box and now I am going through the permissions!! Thanks for helping me out Jake, like coming your way.

Top Bottom