Forum Permissions Questions

Mathew Hood

Hey,

This is essentially the main reason that I want to have my forums. If this is possible to do easily then I am more than happy to purchase a license.

I want to make it so that newly registered users, or guests can only see one forum - Applications.

Upon clicking into that forum, the newly registered user can see stickies made by the administrator, but no other users threads.

The newly registered user can create their own thread, and reply to their own thread without seeing any other users threads.

Upon being promoted to member they can then see other threads and reply to all threads.

Is this possible at all?

Yes!

Later. Sorry that was a bit flip looking but I couldn't see anything there which isn't standard.
You'd make a usergroup for all new members.
They can see precisely what you tick off for them to see.
Anything else can be set to Private which can be overridden for other members' groups as you wish.
Your New group can create threads in the forum you want, but not see others' threads.

You could also make your information stuff into static pages - these can have permissions to view or not per usergroup. They have all the usual stuff at top bottom and side, just not posts but full size pages. Stick a link on the end (and top) of this page/ these pages to open your selected forum for them to send their private posts.

Your only problem is likely to be that there are 2 or 3 ways of you doing what you want and you might need a day or two to think it over which is the best way. But that's a nice kind of problem.

The permission View threads by others does exactly what it says, so you can set it up for new users to be promoted based on certain criteria and then have access to all threads.

However, sticky threads made by Administrators would also be included in this so they wouldn't be able to see any threads at all.

There are various workarounds such as having a sub forum, link forum or page containing the sticky information.

I'm glad I found this page. This is a big deal for me as well.

It's been 4 months since this post and several XF versions since, is there a way to do this? I want to fully transition from vBulletin to XenForo, and I want to have this ability without having to link to another forum for sticky information.

Hey Jake, thanks for the response.

Without having XenForo, it's hard for me to comprehend everything, but from my limited outside knowledge, it seems as notices are just short few sentences or a paragraph worth of notice at top. What the OP and I would need (assuming he has same needs), is a dedicated thread for How-To for the user to fill out the application properly and it would be a decent chunk of information so it wouldn't fit in a notice. I'm still hoping this is possible some how to enable "View thread by Administrator/Sticky" as a permission.

While not ideal, how would permissions for sub-page work? I am to understand you can create "pages" instead of forum/categories in the forum structure.

Top Bottom