XF 1.2 Forum Moderators

LuvMeSumZen

I've read the manual but cannot figure out how to create a forum moderator that has mod perms for only the forum I have added them to. They still have global perms. I created a UG for them and ticked the perms I want them to have, added them to that UG, and then I went into the node tree and added them to the respective forums. But I cannot figure out how to limit their powers to only that forum. ?

Isn't making a node Private and then explicitly allowing the view permission for specific groups a better way to do it than revoking view rights for Registered and Allowing for the specific groups?
If all members are in the Registered user group as their primary then it makes no difference, excepting guests/unconfirmed of course.

Setting a forum as private just sets a revoke for all user groups.

Going the private route is better for those who have different user groups as primaries.

If all members are in the Registered user group as their primary then it makes no difference.

Setting a forum as private just sets a revoke for all user groups.

Going the private route is better for those who have different user groups as primaries.
Thanks for the clarification.

I have all users with Registered as their primary. I prefer the Private Node method as I can easily see which nodes have limited access by the private node box being ticked and no worry that I've forgotten to Revoke any viewing rights. :)

Which people shouldn't have because Registered should always be the primary user group on XenForo. :p
Shouldn't, no. But as we are well aware, many people still don't do this!

Using the private option is the fail safe option, as any changes to primary user groups in the future won't inadvertently expose the forum to those who shouldn't be able to access it.

Still not clear to me even after reading that link. For some reason the perms have always given me fits and I think they always will. Let ask this way. This is my real world scenario so this may simplify things for me. Here in relevant part is my node tree with the red arrow pointing to the new category:

xfug2.webp

Here are the three UGs I would like to give varying degrees of permissions to, for that category. The UGs without arrows should not have any perms to it at all not even view node;

xfug1.webp

The way I tired it was to not give the group any permissions for this forum except the UGs I wanted, and so I ticked the perms I wanted each UG to have for that forum. Everyone could see the forum. I took all permissions away from every UG, and everyone could still see the forum.

As it stands, no UGs have any permissions and the node is ticked private. What do I do to achieve my permission goals from this point?

Top Bottom