Forum Members Able to Change Email

Alfuzzy

My understanding is one of the changes with XF 2.2 was the option to allow forum members to change their usernames. I just realized when I upgraded to XF 2.2...this option (in user group permissions) seemed to be automatically turned on. This is something I didn't want...and thus turned it off.

I also just realized forum members can also change their email address (don't know if this was also a change with XF 2.2). When I search thru the permissions for a user group...I'm not seeing a setting for allowing a forum member to change their email address.

Can someone post where this setting is found please (I did a search in the AdminCP...but didn't find anything)? This is also something I'd rather not allow the average "registered" user group member to be able to do.

Thanks Ozzy47. I'm a bit confused...I don't seem to remember that forum members could change their email address in XF 2.1...but now in a members "Account details"...I'm seeing a "Change" button next to a members email address.

Are you saying there's no way in the XF 2.2 AdminCP to turn this ability/permission off?

Thanks

Yeah for the simple fact that they may lose access to that email if they discontinue service with that provider. Happens all the time.

Yeah for the simple fact that they may lose access to that email if they discontinue service with that provider. Happens all the time.
Yes it does...and that's why we prefer that members contact a forum Staff member to facilitate any account email address changes.

Problem with a member being able to change their email address is...gives spammers more flexibility creating multiple accounts.

Problem with a member being able to change their email address is...gives spammers more flexibility creating multiple accounts.
Spammers have access to unlimited email addresses.

Preventing legitimate users from changing their email address is just going to annoy them.

Spammers have access to unlimited email addresses.
Yes they probably do...and a shame. Our site has been getting spammed a lot lately with spammers using gmail email address's. Kinda hoped Google would have a better handle on email address abuse.
Preventing legitimate users from changing their email address is just going to annoy them.
Never had a problem in the past. If someone needed to change their email...they contacted us & we took care of it.:)

This probably falls into the same category as the new "Writing before Registering" feature in XF 2.2. Some folks like it...and some do not.

Top Bottom