XF 2.1 Forum for manually chosen members - Best practice?

webmasterxl

Hi,

I want to add another forum to my Xenforo installation, in which only manually chosen (by admin) registered users may post. Further, said manually chosen registered users should not be allowed to post in the other forums of my installation. What would be the easiest way to achive this?

Thank you in advance

webmasterxl

Solution
But this new user group should be part of the registered users group, is this correct?
No, you'll create an entirely new user group. What I usually do is leave all users in the registered user group and just add the other groups as secondary user groups.

So, in your case I might add a user group called "Usergroup2". I'd adjust the node permissions on all the forums so that "Usergroup2" can "Never" post in the forums you don't want them posting in.

Then, create a new forum that you do want "Usergroup2" posting in. We'll call that "Forum2". Now you could set "Forum2" as a private note. Then adjust the node permissions for "Forum2" and "Usergroup2" so that they can view/post in "Forum2".
You'd need to create a new user group. Adjust the Node permissions for each forum node that you do/don't want them to be able to post in. Then, simply add those those manually chosen users into said user group.

When you create the new forum, make sure to also adjust the node permissions for that forum to not allow your other members to post. You could set it as a private node under Node permissions, then just add the permissions necessary for that specific user group so they can see/post in it.

But this new user group should be part of the registered users group, is this correct?
No, you'll create an entirely new user group. What I usually do is leave all users in the registered user group and just add the other groups as secondary user groups.

So, in your case I might add a user group called "Usergroup2". I'd adjust the node permissions on all the forums so that "Usergroup2" can "Never" post in the forums you don't want them posting in.

Then, create a new forum that you do want "Usergroup2" posting in. We'll call that "Forum2". Now you could set "Forum2" as a private note. Then adjust the node permissions for "Forum2" and "Usergroup2" so that they can view/post in "Forum2".

Solution
Thank you very much! In my case, the regular users (Usergroup1) should also be able to view , what the members of Usergroup2 post in Forum2 ... Thus, no need to define Forum2 as a private node.

PS: The permissions of members, which are in Usergroup1 and (secondary) Usergroup2, could be restricted (with respect to the members which are only in Usergroup1)? Did I get this right?

Last edited:
Thank you very much! In my case, the regular users (Usergroup1) should also be able to view , what the members of Usergroup2 post in Forum2 ... Thus, no need to define Forum2 as a private node.

This is correct but if you don't want Usergroup1 to post in that forum, you'd need to adjust their permissions to "No" in order to prevent that.

PS: The permissions of members, which are in Usergroup1 and (secondary) Usergroup2, could be restricted (with respect to the members which are only in Usergroup1)? Did I get this right?

Also correct. You would just need to set up the Usergroup2 so that they can "Never" post in the forums you don't want them posting in and set their permissions to "Yes" where you do.

Top Bottom