Forum folder name for new forum

walterw

I am thinking of starting a new forum. The domain has forum in it, like "nicheforum.com".

I was thinking of installing WP in the root to make a blog and Xenforo in another folder.

For SEO and general UIX factors what would be a good name for the forum folder. Some sites I have seen use "forums" like tennisforum.com/forum but I was thinking of using another name so not to repeat forum in the URL. Maybe something like nicheforum.com/community

Anyone have any other ideas?

Be careful having "forum" in the domain name. This domain name, when sharing it to others unfamiliar with your site, will limit the expected scope of the website to being a forum only. If the site may expand to offer things other than just a forum (like you already mentioned a blog), it may be easier to change your domain name now to something more encompassing for your niche before you even start building a site and gaining members/followers.

It's always important to leave yourself room for growth. You don't want to limit your site scope by an inaccurate/constricting domain name before you even get started.

Well I have already purchased the domain at a premium price. It is an expired domain and has some good links pointing to it, so I should be able to get it going quickly. I get what you are saying but I don't see any reason why I can't expand the site to have a directory and listings for jobs or so forth.

forums is nice and simple plus easy to spell - bear in mind some people struggle to spell anything these days with more than four letters in it ;)

nicheforum.com/forums - sounds good to me

Top Bottom