Forum concept is dying, don't you think so?

Goodspeed

Just my thoughts. 10-15 years ago it was very popular to create communities with forums, but not now. Have you noticed recession?

Not really.
If you have something to offer such as servers that you develop or projects, its great.
czB9eWz.png

the forums are there to share so no forums are not morris, if you talk and you do a lot of post the gen will come to learn, learn things, shared things etc etc etc ...

This thread pops up every few months. Forums will always be a thing, its at what capacity. Google/Facebook could indeed come into this industry and flip it on its head, but they have not. Until then, this industry is alive and well. The forum niches get more and more specific and communities are smaller, but they are just as needed as they always have been.

If there was an affordable or free 'app' version for android & apple with similar notifications as FB it would strengthen forums usefulness with big chunks of user community. I have an 'older' demographic' but I see regular evidence that many are using mobile devices & I know the internet experience on mobile is 2nd rate.

In general the internet is dying. People are waking up and getting a life again- sans social media, forums, etc….just my opinion. Normals are overshadowed by the loonies now online, creating negativity everywhere and fueling the return to nature, life, real LIVE local friends, etc... Thank goodness.

It just depends how you look at forums. You can build a forum on top of a community. Have a blog with comments section? Connect your comments with your forum, win win. Etc.

Agreed. There are lots of sites that continue to use forums. It's still a valid way for marketplaces to maintain community style communication.

My only issue with forums right now is (Or perhaps I'm not aware of it) is accepting payments and fulfilling invoices like sites like Paypal, Invoice Simple, Stripe, etc allow you to do.

I think we need to disambiguate. I would posit the following:

forum = discussion and production of content
social media = social interaction and consumption of content

Forums are really intended to produce and organize content, especially original content, that is being contributed by a team of people.

There is still very much a need for this application. Yes, there is social media, but the two have different scopes of application and are not zero sum. If they are zero sum for you then that probably means your forum is more user-centric than content-centric. User-centric forums were a thing in the past before social media, but it was never a good fit because forums are organized around topics and not users.

My two cents.

Forums are really intended to produce and organize content, especially original content, that is being contributed by a team of people.

Forums produce awkward low density content with little organization.

good content gets lost and overall quality of content doesn't improve over time.

non-threaded threads are for back and forth banter and forums are collections of non-threaded threads.

Build proper structure.

Shelves, a desk, a closet, a light to see where stuff is.

you are standing in a empty square room with no structure or light.

what's the goal for the room anyway ?

Very true in our case. Social Media seems more about show & tell rather than in-depth sharing or seeking of knowledge & you have search rather than structure due to the linear pile-it-on nature of the content. I see folk on social media occasionally padding out a post with detail they've gleaned from our site but for a large group of people social media is just easier to take part in on their phones. I see some great content posted but it's sad to see it buried over time.

Top Bottom