Forum add-ons is at least a 250,000 dollar market

The smiley is me laughing my a** off at the same thing you always see on forums about competitors (XF, VB, IPB).

It is denial! People who do not like a business cannot admit that the business is doing well and/or is worth anything.

If you think I'm rude for laughing and stating my personal opinion, that's your opinion. You are entitled to it, just as I am.

It's my opinion that these denials are not valid and can be considered rude as well. I personally find them hilarious!
This is an obvious PR/marketing ploy and there really isn't much wrong with it. Apple, Microsoft and Google do this all all the time by throwing out large numbers and touting payout numbers and profits.

$250,000 over a 3 1/3 year period isn't that impressive, and the fact that it is between 500 individuals doesn't mean much. To be included in that metric you could have 400 people making $5, with the remaining 100 developers making the remaining sum of money (which is closer to the truth than what IPB would have let people believe).

Given the amount I've made since I started selling my products, and the fact that add-ons are generally more profitable than styles it's easy to estimate that XenForo has made at least $100,000 for developers and designers.

So believe that people in denial if you wish, however it isn't anything extraordinary or anything of the sort.

It's like a one-click buy when you get stuff from the itunes/apps store...

Hmmm...

The 30% from goog and aapl isn't bad when you figure they do everything, from hosting to actually looking at and approving the programs (in most cases). They actually do create the "easy" market where the purchase is made easy.

15% is probably more fair in a situation like IPB if IPB does the transaction....

If I was a developer and Apple or anyone increased my sales by 1000% plus, but took 30%, I'd be a very happy camper.

The XF crew is working on a skeleton crew, so taking on a project such as approving and selling add-ons would be tough...it would take energy away from the core. But that doesn't mean someone else could not do it....
http://devot-ee.com/

Or, even a developer who is good at the biz stuff who takes other devs stuff and sells it in a one-stop shop.

The XF market is still not big enough to support anyone but KAM (if even them) at this point. IPB may be worth it to me when 4.0 comes out, we'll see. Right now, it's not. As far as talking about how much I make or other's make, that is in poor taste, imho, and not something I think is anyone's business but my own. Never have understood why people feel the need to do that.

IPB may have 508 resource contributors, but who says that all of them are paid resource contributors (and are still active)?
I wanted to filter there for paid resources but apparently you can't do that.

To be honest, all the "paid" mods is why I left IPB years ago.
I don't mind paying for a good plugin, but it got to a point where everything I wanted was a paid mod, $5 and $10 a mod will add up quick. This is especially true when you're accustom to getting these same "small" addons for free with vB or xF.

Top Bottom