Forgot to CHMOD on installation

nodle

I installed xenforo the other day and the installation went fine but after reading:

3. Setting Permissions
Once the files are finished uploading, you must set permissions (or CHMOD) several places. This is necessary to ensure that XenForo can write to those parts of your server. You can usually do this with your FTP client.

1. In the set of files and directories you just uploaded, you will see 2 folders: data and internal_data.
  2. These two directories must be set to world writeable (CHMOD 0777) or give the IUSR_ Full Control in Windows.

http://xenforo.com/help/installation/

I noticed that I forgot to set mine to 777. I went ahead and did this now on the two folders, but did I screw anything up on installation by not doing this? Or will I be fine now that I changed it?

Some server configurations are writable with 755 in which case you don't need to chmod those directories. If the installation finished without error then you are OK.

Don't forget, the sub-directories for /data and /internal_data also need the same permissions. Depending on how you did it, if you did not do a recursive you may have problems.

I set data and internal_data to 777, but after installation. I don't know if they need to be after an install but I went ahead anyways. I thought maybe a process uses them.

I set data and internal_data to 777, but after installation. I don't know if they need to be after an install but I went ahead anyways. I thought maybe a process uses them.

Attachments and uploaded avatars depend on having write access to those directories (and the sub-directories under them). If you find that you cannot upload attachments or avatars, then you need to do a recursive chmod to the /data and /internal_data directories.

Here is an example of my /data structure
drwxrwxrwx 3 xxxxx xxxxx 4096 Jun 15 23:00 attachments
drwxrwxrwx 5 xxxxx xxxxx 4096 May 27 23:04 avatars
drwxrwxrwx 2 xxxxx xxxxx 4096 May 27 23:04 color-picker
-rwxrwxrwx 1 xxxxx xxxxx 1 Mar 15 07:00 index.html

As you can see, all the directories under /data also have 777 permissions (as do the files contained therein).

Ya just checked all of mine are set to 755 + all files underneath. Is it to late or will I have to re-install?

Try it...if it works with them 755 then you are on one of the servers that will work with them set at that (not normal but does occur on some servers depending on how they have it set up).
Try uploading a new avatar for your account. If it works then you are good to go.

how do I check and verify if this is set correctly on my Forum install ?

Can I see this somehow by using FTP or can I check this in ACP ?

Are you using cPanel? If so, the File explorer should allow you to see them.
Also, if you are using FileZilla you should be able to see (and change) the permissions. You just highlight the directory and then bring up the option window (I think on Windows it's right click - on my Mac it's two fingers on tapping the touchpad).
example.webp

hmmm... I am using the plain old FTP upload build into Adobe Dreamweaver.
I guess I can not see it with this program, but need something like PHPmyAdmin or the programs you have mentioned ?

So it is not possible to check this via XF-ACP ?

hmmm... I am using the plain old FTP upload build into Adobe Dreamweaver.
I guess I can not see it with this program, but need something like PHPmyAdmin ?

phpMyAdmin is only for the SQL database related routines. If you have DreamWeaver (I believe it has built in FTP) then you can grab FileZilla (it's free - https://filezilla-project.org/download.php) and put your credentials in and log in via FTP (I use SFTP on my server, but I'm on a dedicated).
The ACP for XF doesn't have server directory file management abilities built into it.

Top Bottom