XF 1.5 Force user make first post

Claudiu

Hello, How do i make new users force to post in a special thread, for example making them not able to post in another thread until they introduce themselves? Some steps would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You can use permissions and user group promotions to achieve that.

You can only force it to a single forum though, not a specific thread.

I see, can you please help me do this, i have made the promotion as following:
Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 17.01.49.webp Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 17.02.19.webp

Is this correct? What else must i do, sorry for being such a non-tech guy

All users should have the Registered user group as their primary user group. Therefore you shouldn't be adding users to the Registered user group in a user group promotion.

You'll need to create another user group and use that for the user group promotion. The promotion could occur when they have made 1 post. You'd need to have 1 forum set up with just one thread in it. You'd then need to revoke the ability to create new threads in all forums for the Registered group (well, maybe except for the introduction forum) but allow it for the new user group you create. You'd also need to revoke the ability to make new posts in all forums except for the one with the welcome thread in it for the Registered group and allow it for the new user group you create.

If you're struggling with permissions, I would suggest you read through these guides first and understand the concept of XenForo permissions before you attempt do to anything, otherwise you could end up in a mess.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/

This isn't tech stuff, it's standard functionality of XenForo. The permission system is something that all XenForo administrators need to understand in order to run their forums effectively.

It's probably best for now that you study those guides and try to understand them. They aren't hard really and once you grasp the concepts, you should be able to implement permission setups on your forum to suit your needs.

@Brogan i understand but i explained up that i have no clue after reading the explanation there and i do not want to mess up the forum, i am being a total novice and don't understand mechanics, what to do in this case?

@Brogan i understand but i explained up that i have no clue after reading the explanation there and i do not want to mess up the forum, i am being a total novice and don't understand mechanics, what to do in this case?
You really do need to try and understand the permission system, otherwise you will always be a "novice" and in the future when you want to make other adjustments to your forums (and no doubt you will) then you won't be able to achieve this as you won't understand permissions.

I appreciate that English isn't your first language so some terms may be difficult to understand. If so then just ask in those discussion threads and members will rephrase terms so that you will hopefully then understand them.

As for the add-on that has been suggested, I don't believe it does what you want anyway. You want the first post limited to being in just one thread, whereas that only limits the first post to being in one forum, which isn't the same thing. Both what that add-on does and what you want to do can be achieved using the built-in XenForo permission system.

As for the add-on that has been suggested, I don't believe it does what you want anyway. You want the first post limited to being in just one thread

Good catch, Martok.

If Claudiu will allow a new thread for each introduction then the the add-on makes it really easy, best part is no additional user groups are required to be created.

I fully agree with member @Martok. I agree also that Xenforo permisison seems a little confusing at first, but once you get into it, everything will fall in place. Another thing to take into consideration, is to avoid using Add Ons for things that can be achieved very well with the features that Xenforo provides.

I agree with you about the importance of learning the permissions. At this point i am not able to do it, i am fisherman who made a fisherman forum but for sure i will mess it. Anybody here that want to help me solve this issue? Of course, i will pay for the matter.

Top Bottom