Force change of one user avatar?

ArtG

Hey all -

So a game was suggested on the forum by the members. There's a debate going on as to whether they like the style snow I turned on or not. They came up with an idea.

I pick a member in the morning that lives up north. If it's snowing at her location, I turn their avatar into a snowman. They need to post a picture of snow at their location. If they do, I pick someone else to be the snowman and so on.

Question: Any ideas on how I can override an individual avatar and turn it into a snowman and then revert back to user submitted one?

Thanks!

Sorry if this is too obvious and you need something cleverer, but you can do this in the admin control panel, as long as you save the original avatar before changing to the snowman

Sorry if this is too obvious and you need something cleverer, but you can do this in the admin control panel, as long as you save the original avatar before changing to the snowman
Thanks. I thought about that and I don't need anything clever. Happy to do it manually. My concern is how do I save the old avatar without bothering the user?

I would change the avatar and change their permission to change it back. Is it as simple as right click and save to download?

With Safari I just right click on the Avatar and download it (ie Save Images As)

Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 17.13.34.png

You can just add it back yourself in the ACP, no need to change any permissions. Or they can add it back in their account details

I don’t know however if the avatar image gets any jpeg compression on uploading. If so it is technically best to reupload the user’s actual original. However I think unlikely to make any significant difference.

Create a new custom profile field for the snowman image and add it to the user pane area under the avatar.

Put it in your rules mate so that everyone knows that this happens otherwise you will get people abusing you.

Top Bottom