For those with automotive related websites

ArnyVee

Guys and gals,

I have a project that I'm working on for a client and we're putting together an automotive related website powered by xenForo :D

I've never created or run an automobile-related website so I need some advice.

Any particular tips or advice that you can give me? Any add-ons or features that are best for this niche? I appreciate the help! :)

Well, there really isn't much too it, or much that would be different than running any other site, other than most people will know each other on a more personal basis. And get ready for the drama. It always happens. Jokes that take place "in person" do not transfer over well to the online place.

Feel free to check out my site. It is pretty much what you are looking for. 10+ years of a local subaru community and we are coming up at 1 year on Xenforo (Aug 1st).

Russ

Most automobile sites I've helped run or am a part of have these in common

1. Show off contest (maybe make a custom block/page with Jaxel's XenPorta)
2. Garage (album specifically for their cars and info) ([xfr] albums could be used/modified)
3. Sub forums/groups for 'chapters' or local car guys, so they can do meets/shows/installs (social groups by waindigo)
4. Wiki for commonly asked/answered questions on the model. - forgot who made one... i think Jaxel made one
5. Buy/Sell/trade forum with manual approval.
6. Some sites add trader ratings.
7. Sponsor areas. A LOT of the forums I visit eventually gain sponsors and they get their own forums for Q&A/Sales as well as ad space.
8. Paid membership (some clubs do solely rely on user donations. By donating they become a "VIP" or "Core" member with access to a members area.)
9. Enhanced Calendar for meets (Jaxel's XenAtendo)

Unless you have a huge member base, its just a resource hog. Nobody takes the time to look at them.
People would look at Garage images if new Garage images appear in What's New?
Just like when a new Resource is posted, people only know about it because of the discussion thread that automatically appears

People would look at Garage images if new Garage images appear in What's New?
Just like when a new Resource is posted, people only know about it because of the discussion thread that automatically appears

I own two automotive communities. (well technically three), when we implemented the garage system on one of our boards, (when we were powered by vb) our members did use it, but nobody viewed them. So people were creating their own garage but other members didn't take the time to browse and comment/rate.

We had created an incentive and contest as well that revolved around the garage system. Just wasn't a hit. However, our classified section is the most used section on the website(s).

I own two automotive communities. (well technically three), when we implemented the garage system on one of our boards, (when we were powered by vb) our members did use it, but nobody viewed them. So people were creating their own garage but other members didn't take the time to browse and comment/rate.

We had created an incentive and contest as well that revolved around the garage system. Just wasn't a hit. However, our classified section is the most used section on the website(s).

Bingo

I think it may be because the garage systems just aren't packed in with the community very well, and simply.. suck. One of the car forums I venture to simply has a specified forum where people post about their cars, and update theme with any new features. It has been far more successful this way.

What if a new garage photo showed up in the What's New ?
Like this ?
lambo.garage.image.webp

I think an *INTEGRATED* Garage Gallery would be well used.
vB Blogs sucked because they were not integrated.
Any Gallery or Garage or Blog or Wiki or <insert content type here> that doesn't show up in What's New is at major risk of failure.

Did new Classifieds show up in the What's New ?

When you buy a house, what's are the 3 most important things ?
(1) Location
(2) Location
(3) Location.
If you aren't in prime real estate (What's new) your property sucks !

Wikis are used on some the sites I went to because the mods and active members would always reference a member to the wiki. It all depends on you as a forum leader to encourage use in any way possible.

Some forums I went to created a 'garage' (some call it 'show off') forum and each person would update their own thread with new pics/details.

What I'd Like to see on any Car forum
If a garage album would auto create a thread for each new garage in a particular forum it might be nice. The first post being a type of gallery that's always updated. Any posts after the first post would just be comments and threads

For example

Main forum > garage forum > User Created Garage1

[subject] My 00 GT
[body] - images/albums (updates with new images when user uploads to garage album. Each update will bump thread once a day)
[modifications] Mods on the cars
[after OP] regular posting like on a standard thread

ADD-ONs to this
Ratings and Nominate for Car of the Month(or some category)

AND further along the lines of suggestions. A tool-tip with link to a wiki article would be nice.

Example

User posts
"I need help with my brakes {tool-tip to search wiki for brakes} and how to change the pads!"

Or perhaps the person answering could 'tag' a keyword. Instead of @ use some other symbol or term like wiki:brakes so the resulting answer would not only provide an answer but a link to the wiki for further information.

Top Bottom