For those importing from vBulletin with a gallery, what did you do for the gallery?

Kevin

Let me get this out of the way... I am not asking if there is a XenForo gallery available, I know the answer to that question already.

For those of you who have imported from vBulletin with a gallery, such as PhotoPost Pro or PhotoPost vBGallery or PhotoPlog or even the older vBa Gallery, what did you end up doing in regards to the gallery during your conversion? Did you end up giving up the gallery, import the data in XF threads, or jerry-rig something else?

At one of my sites I have some good back-links to our existing gallery pages (vBGallery on vB 3.8.x) and just outright tossing the gallery isn't something I really want to do.

Hearing from those who faced a similar scenario would be appreciated. :)

Random idea: I wonder if it is possible to "export" and entire PPP / PP / vBG / PP / vBaG to static HTML so it can be a read-only gallery.
Not sure if that would help you. Depends on what you want accomplished.

I have the same problem but I don't even think to convert my live Vb site to Xenforo without a gallery and/or user albums. It is not just a good idea for me.

I know this is an old thread, but it's exactly the same problem that I face. I've got VB Gallery, PhotoPlog and IP Gallery installed on various sites - but the lack of anywhere to move this content prevents me from upgrading these to XF :(.

I'd love to know if there's a successful workaround.

there's no importer for IP Gallery (or VB Gallery), as far as I know.
I wonder if you import IPB and IPB Gallery to vBulletin3 and then to Xenforo .... would your gallery migrate. I vaguely remember something about that. No harm in asking ?

Yea, that addon isn't particularly active.
Xenforo needs to come up with a solution to the "age old problem" of supporting addons. No other forum has been able to solve this issue. Times of changed though, in the age of digital currency, surely some payment scheme could work.

I've also looked at that route, but can't see a way to do it... so I'll just wait until a reliable gallery app comes about. I hope XF develop something official, or it's taken on as a serious project by someone (as I imagine there would be a lot of people willing to pay for a good gallery app).

I think the traditional gallery app is quite passe.
Especially in the era of Facebook Photobucket etc.
Images are important, but the typical gallery is outdated, IMO.

Are ya sure ya need it ?

Unfortunately so - as we've got a gallery with thousands of images. If I was starting from scratch, I'd do without - but I can't just remove existing albums as many users are storing ongoing galleries.

Thought I'd resurrect this topic, as we've recently converted a large IPB forum to xenforo, which aside from a few glitches went well, certainly a lot better than the recent conversion from vb to IPB, which was not very good at all, weeks spent replacing missing images and sorting out banned members. I also have a small vb forum with photoplog gallery and whilst I want to move away from vb, I definitely don't want to lose the material in the gallery. Has anything progressed on this?

EDIT. Just seen that there may soon be an answer with an importer. :) http://xenforo.com/community/threads/sonnb-xengallery-paid.54795/

Last edited:
Thought I'd resurrect this topic, as we've recently converted a large IPB forum to xenforo, which aside from a few glitches went well, certainly a lot better than the recent conversion from vb, which was not very good at, weeks spent replacing missing images and sorting out banned members. I also have a small vb forum with photoplog gallery and whilst I want to move away from vb, I definitely don't want to lose the material in the gallery. Has anything progressed on this?

EDIT. Just seen that there may soon be an answer with an importer. :) http://xenforo.com/community/threads/sonnb-xengallery-paid.54795/

There are two gallery options that are in active development, XenGallery as you've already seen and also XenMediaGallery. Both are shaping up to be great gallery add-ons for Xenforo.

As you've noted, XenGallery does have an importer for IPB. XenMediaGallery, has importers for older Xenforo galleries coming in the next release. It might be worth asking @Chris Deeming if/when importers for IPB/vBulletin etc are coming (I'm sure he'll do these at some point).

It's an interesting choice between the two galleries:

XenMediaGallery is currently a site wide gallery that supports both uploaded images and media linked from sites such as YouTube, Vimeo etc (basically what's in BBCode Media Sites). It doesn't yet have user albums but these are coming in the 1.3 release which hopefully is not too far off.

XenGallery is a 'traditional' user albums gallery. It supports uploaded images as expected. At this stage it doesn't support media but I believe that's something being considered for the future.

It's worth looking at both and seeing what will suit your needs both now and in the future. If you're able to wait until both have importers then I think it'll be a tough choice!

Top Bottom