Food Pr0n - Fantasia revisited.

Hello old thread :giggle:

So... yesterday we checked out Carl's Jnr, the first one here in Australia.. was pretty interesting LOL

I wrote a review on my site.. http://www.yumforum.com/threads/388/

Mmmm Burger and fries...

thehaul.webp

We don't normally eat Fast Food, so it was definately different!

You know it! (y)

Even though some of the other food isn't the healthiest, I still have to take in the local "color" so to speak. We did go to Portillo's and had an Italian Beef. I have yet to try one of the Chicago-style hot dogs. I skipped the pizza, though--it doesn't agree with me like it used to. (I can deal with a thin crust and mostly veggies, but if I get meat, the added grease doesn't sit well with me.) Part of the joys of getting old I guess. :D

You know it! (y)

Even though some of the other food isn't the healthiest, I still have to take in the local "color" so to speak. We did go to Portillo's and had an Italian Beef. I have yet to try one of the Chicago-style hot dogs. I skipped the pizza, though--it doesn't agree with me like it used to. (I can deal with a thin crust and mostly veggies, but if I get meat, the added grease doesn't sit well with me.) Part of the joys of getting old I guess. :D

I have to say the look of Chicago deep dish pizza really turns me off, never tried it, but it really looks like everything I dislike in a pizza LOL :sick:

We are going to have home made pizza tonight, was just discussing it with the Hubster... but it will be super thin and super simple, just home made tomato sauce, herbs, fresh prawns (shrimp) and a small amount of fresh mozarella... should be yummy! :D

Chicago style comes two ways, from my experience. The deep dish isn't what you think it is. Some who make a "deep dish" around here make it rather thick and heavy, and the dough can be almost soft and mushy if not cooked properly. The pizza I've had from Pizzeria Uno downtown is somewhat deep, but the crust is actually crispy and on the dry side. It is not as heavy as it looks. Yet I've had other deep dish pizzas that have claimed to be "just like Chicago-style" but they end up being thick and gooey. I used to like the pizza from Uno accompanied by a spinach salad with hot bacon dressing. You have to order the pizza 45 minutes before you're ready to eat, since it takes that long to prepare and bake (and also because the small restaurant is so busy).

The other type is the stuffed crust pizza, and I know that style is kind of thick and heavy from pictures I've seen of it.

On my last trip ten years ago, parking for Pizzeria Uno cost me $22; our dinner was nearly the same cost. It is cheaper to stay in the suburbs and take the train in.

Detroit-style pizza is another one that can be done well, or done poorly. This style originated at a bar called Buddy's Rendezvous in Hamtramck, Michigan. When the owner Gus Guerra sold off Buddy's, he bought a bar on the east side called Cloverleaf. Buddy's grew into a local chain with maybe a half dozen locations. Numerous others have spun off from having worked at Buddy's over the decades: Shield's is one, as is The Green Lantern. The place I get it from is called Detroit Style Pizza Co. The owner worked at Cloverleaf and spun off on his own after rebooting the classic Detroit-style recipe, improving on it, and entering it in an international pizza competition and winning two top prizes. When this crust is cooked properly, it is at most an inch thick, but is light and airy, and crispy. It is known for being baked in thin, seasoned steel pans, with the cheese carmelizing to a crunchy dark brown around the edges. It is also a "red top" pizza in that the sauce is added to the top, after it is removed from the oven.

If I ever order this style elsewhere, I tell them to bake it "well done," as most of the time the dough is never cooked thoroughly. Most places are too rushed to do it correctly.

I have two racks of ribs out on the smoker today. I'm trying one of Harry Soo's methods--let the bark form for a couple of hours, then sauce and foil them until they're done. Reminds me that I have to see if the bark has set yet, in about five minutes.

I have two racks of ribs out on the smoker today. I'm trying one of Harry Soo's methods--let the bark form for a couple of hours, then sauce and foil them until they're done. Reminds me that I have to see if the bark has set yet, in about five minutes.

Can you get a pic... sounds wonderful!

I'm experimenting today. :D I have a homemade sauce I usually use, but found two others I wanted to try. So two of them have my usual sauce (a tangy Carolina vinegar-based sauce) on two half racks, a Kansas City style on a half rack, and a Memphis style on a half rack.

They're foiled at the moment. Hopefully they won't get eaten too quickly before I can get a photo. :D

Just had some very healthy veggie soup for lunch, was delicious quick and easy!

What are you eating today?

Top Bottom