Food Pr0n - Fantasia revisited.

It's partly an inside joke.

There's a place called Sweet Lady Janes near my stepdads and they have some amazing cakes and pies.

The bad thing is that they're so sweet and rich that you think you'll get instant diabetes and your foot will fall off.
I'm familiar with their stuff. Tasty stuff to be honest, so tasty it inspired me to replicate some of the stuff. I don't remember where I had the stuff though. Anything coconut or dulce de leche gets me going. I've had a lot of coconut cakes in my time, most of them have sucked because they tasted so strange. I've only ever had one coconut cake that left me speechless. It was 9 or 10 years ago. Great tasting cake; not to light and not too dense. Fantastic cream or some kind of fluffing meringue but not meringue like cream that tasted like sweet coconut without the weird chemical taste.

I think the best way to describe it would be to tell you it tastes like Ferrero Roche's white almond chocolate. That's what it tasted like. I've tried coming up with a bunch of recipes on my own in addition to tons of print outs. Nothing tastes remotely the same. I've had some other tasty treats in the past I've never seen again.

I found the picture of it on Imgur last night.

http://imgur.com/gallery/iDwiZ

The recipe for the maltesers cake doesn't suggest they are brushed with anything. The ones we get here are usually quite shiney.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/33237/amazing maltesers cake
I'm quite close to asking a witch doctor to make me a voodoo doll of you. The cake bomb in that is reminiscent of a cake I had once. Minus the bomb's string and ignition area, it was this half ball shaped cake with a dark chocolate coating and dense cake inside. I just did some digging and it's called French chocolate bomb cake. Cheers for that, Matt!

chocolate-bombs.jpg

Last edited:
I've actually got a box of them at home. I'll take a snap when I get in to show how shiny they look straight from the box.
Yeah this is what ours is supposed to resemble but because of movement in the containers they dull up.

Whoppers.jpg

Those and Maltesers are much better after you've stick them in the freezer for a few hours.

I'm familiar with their stuff. Tasty stuff to be honest, so tasty it inspired me to replicate some of the stuff. I don't remember where I had the stuff though. Anything coconut or dulce de leche gets me going. I've had a lot of coconut cakes in my time, most of them have sucked because they tasted so strange. I've only ever had one coconut cake that left me speechless. It was 9 or 10 years ago. Great tasting cake; not to light and not too dense. Fantastic cream or some kind of fluffing meringue but not meringue like cream that tasted like sweet coconut without the weird chemical taste.

I think the best way to describe it would be to tell you it tastes like Ferrero Roche's white almond chocolate. That's what it tasted like. I've tried coming up with a bunch of recipes on my own in addition to tons of print outs. Nothing tastes remotely the same. I've had some other tasty treats in the past I've never seen again.
http://www.sweetladyjane.com/store

I go to the Santa Monica one (Or West Hollywood one when I'm around that area).

Their carrot cake is pretty amazing, however it's a bit too rich to eat all the time.

Some heat would have been applied to the Malteasers to slightly melt the chocolate for the photography... it wouldn't be that shiny normally.

Your brownies sound interesting @MattW - Might have to try those!!! ( although I don't eat Oreo's as they are made in China and I don't eat Western foods made in China by cheap arsed Multinational corporations... but there are other cookies that could be used with the same result I am sure.)

Some recent yummies...

Chicken breast with herb cream sauce, glazed carrots and sauteed potatoes
poached_chicken_tarragon.webp

Beer battered fish fillets with home made tartare sauce
battered_fish.webp

Chicken Parmigiana - Crumbed (breaded) chicken breast fillet fried, then topped with a home made tomato sauce and mozarella cheese, then baked.
chicken_parma.webp

Kipfler potato salad with Aioli dressing
kipfler_potato_salad.webp

Paella
paella.webp

Sausage Rolls - puff pastry wrapped spiced minced (ground) mince
sausage_rolls.webp

Last edited:
You'll have to tell me what some of those are. I recognize chicken breast with lemon herb butter sauce and what looks like carrots and the lasagna. The last one looks like a different method of making Yorkshire puddings using puff pastry and sauteed mince.

You'll have to tell me what some of those are. I recognize chicken breast with lemon herb butter sauce and what looks like carrots and the lasagna. The last one looks like a different method of making Yorkshire puddings using puff pastry and sauteed mince.

In order...

Chicken Parmigiana - Crumbed (breaded) chicken breast fillet fried, then topped with a home made tomato sauce and mozarella cheese, then baked.
Kipfler potato salad with Aioli dressing
Paella
Sausage Rolls - puff pastry wrapped spiced minced (ground) mince

:)

Your Oreos are made in China?! :eek:

Yes they are unfortunately! And they are now very cheap and everywhere! More than a little annoying.

I might buy a packet just to show you, they are like $1 a pack, which is half the price of biscuits (cookies) made here.

Paella
Ooooooh, those look good.
obsess.gif

Top Bottom