Food Pr0n - Fantasia revisited.

Yes they are unfortunately! And they are now very cheap and everywhere! More than a little annoying.

I might buy a packet just to show you, they are like $1 a pack, which is half the price of biscuits (cookies) made here.
That is pretty cheap!

Here in the UK, they've not been available that long from what I can gather (only saw the advert on the TV for them about 2 years ago), and they are still £1.10 a packet, or £1.50 for a packet of the double stuffed ones.

Strange stuff! You know what I love? Tim Tams, and this half cream and half jam biscuit I had when I was in Sydney many years ago. Not a huge fan of prepackaged biscuits but those two are wonderful. If you've still got brioche left after a few days, make baked brioche French toast. Good stuff. If you ever have the patience to work with the dough much, brioche cinnamon rolls are amazing, especially for your waist's circumference.

Yes they are unfortunately! And they are now very cheap and everywhere! More than a little annoying.

I might buy a packet just to show you, they are like $1 a pack, which is half the price of biscuits (cookies) made here.
I never would've imagined that a big name brand like Oreos would be imported from China. I can't help but wonder if it is a case where they are licensing the brand to a local company that's outsourcing their production.

In the UK, they are made about 6 miles from my house!

United Kingdom
In May 2008, following stocking of Oreo (called Oreo biscuits in UK[36]) in the supermarket chain Sainsbury's, Kraft decided to fully launch the Oreo across the UK, repackaged in the more familiar British tube design, accompanied with a £4.5M television advertising campaign around the 'twist, lick, dunk' catchphrase.[37] Kraft recently partnered with McDonald's to bring the Oreo McFlurry (already on sale in many countries) to a few McDonald's locations during its yearly Great Tastes of America promotions. An Oreo flavored "Krushem" drink was also on sale in UK KFC stores. The UK Oreo website gives a slightly different ingredients list to that of the US product. Unlike the US version, UK Oreo cookies originally contained whey powder and so were not suitable for people who avoid milk products. As the whey powder was sourced from cheese made with calf rennet, UK Oreo cookies were also not suitable for vegetarians.[38][39]However since Spring 2013, the whey powder has been removed and UK Oreo cookies are now suitable for vegetarians and vegans.[citation needed] On 6 December 2011, Kraft announced that Oreo cookies would start to be produced in the UK. Their Cadbury factory at Sheffield in South Yorkshire has been selected to manufacture Oreo cookies in the UK for the first time. Construction of the Oreo plant in Sheffield was due to start in March 2012.

That is pretty cheap!

Here in the UK, they've not been available that long from what I can gather (only saw the advert on the TV for them about 2 years ago), and they are still £1.10 a packet, or £1.50 for a packet of the double stuffed ones.

Yeah it is cheap, they are also in McDonalds and so on here to, heavily advertised.

I love them, but refuse to buy them.

I found a brilliant recipe for them online and now make Fauxreo's occassionally when I feel like that flavour cookie!

Strange stuff! You know what I love? Tim Tams, and this half cream and half jam biscuit I had when I was in Sydney many years ago. Not a huge fan of prepackaged biscuits but those two are wonderful. If you've still got brioche left after a few days, make baked brioche French toast. Good stuff. If you ever have the patience to work with the dough much, brioche cinnamon rolls are amazing, especially for your waist's circumference.

I much prefer home made cookies and bikkies (as we would call them) myself, but you have mentioned two I actually do love :D Tim Tams are great, and so are the (I assume) Monte Carlos you referred too. Yummy!

100727_073911900_arnotts-monte-carlo%20article.jpg

tumblr_ljq5plwzMK1qzgedpo1_500.jpg

Someone kindly saved me the trouble of buying a box to show you by photographing it...

made-in-china-oreo-2012.jpg

Yeah it is cheap, they are also in McDonalds and so on here to, heavily advertised.

I love them, but refuse to buy them.

I found a brilliant recipe for them online and now make Fauxreo's occassionally when I feel like that flavour cookie!

I much prefer home made cookies and bikkies (as we would call them) myself, but you have mentioned two I actually do love :D Tim Tams are great, and so are the (I assume) Monte Carlos you referred too. Yummy!

100727_073911900_arnotts-monte-carlo%20article.jpg

tumblr_ljq5plwzMK1qzgedpo1_500.jpg

Someone kindly saved me the trouble of buying a box to show you by photographing it...

made-in-china-oreo-2012.jpg
Given all the issues with contamination and poisoning due to shoddy QA in China with regards to food, I'd avoid them too.

Hell as an American I'd avoid Oreos too. They taste like crap. Make your own.

Kim, those are the biscuits I was talking about! Going to hunt down a recipe for them. I've made Tim Tams at home but they don't taste the same, neither do the American made ones. There's something very different about the texture and taste of chocolate outside NA. It's smoother and has a more appealing sweetness. I've noticed it in chocolates like that and higher end ones from botiques in Oz, England, Germany, Poland, etc. I had a relative bring over some chocolate from the Netherlands a few years back and it had that unique taste to it as well. Ironically the direct imports from those countries into the states do not have that taste to them. It's hard to describe other than it tastes like a purer lump of sweetness. Chocolate here is a mess. 85% dark cacao here has a vague bitter almond and cherry stone flavor. Definitely impurities being allowed to go in during the manufacturing process.

Hell as an American I'd avoid Oreos too. They taste like crap. Make your own.

Kim, those are the biscuits I was talking about! Going to hunt down a recipe for them. I've made Tim Tams at home but they don't taste the same, neither do the American made ones. There's something very different about the texture and taste of chocolate outside NA. It's smoother and has a more appealing sweetness. I've noticed it in chocolates like that and higher end ones from botiques in Oz, England, Germany, Poland, etc. I had a relative bring over some chocolate from the Netherlands a few years back and it had that unique taste to it as well. Ironically the direct imports from those countries into the states do not have that taste to them. It's hard to describe other than it tastes like a purer lump of sweetness. Chocolate here is a mess. 85% dark cacao here has a vague bitter almond and cherry stone flavor. Definitely impurities being allowed to go in during the manufacturing process.
It really depends on the chocolate to be honest; if you're talking any of the cookie or candy companies it's obviously going to be crap.

However there are a lot of famous chocolatiers in the US but you'll obviously be paying for the quality. If you ever feel like indulging in some amazing chocolates you might try Fran's Chocolates (https://www.franschocolates.com/). I suggest the salted caramels, the gold bars and the chocolate figs (y).

Actual chocolate. Just an off taste. Dried figs aren't my thing. I prefer fresh ones from my trees. But I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove salted caramels.

Actual chocolate. Just an off taste. Dried figs aren't my thing. I prefer fresh ones from my trees. But I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove salted caramels.
Yeah I know what you mean about the off-taste.

I don't eat most American or Canadian chocolate as there's a rancid flavor to most of the chocolate that I've tried. I'll make exceptions for certain candy bars, but more often than not I won't eat it.

Check out Frans though, they've got some of the best chocolates I've ever had, and I love their caramels.

I have had US chocolate and found it dire, even supposedly good brands like Ghiradelli (sp sorry) urgh!

But I am sure there are small artisan producers making gorgeous chocolates! I avoid commercial chocolates here pretty much as it is a huge calorie load for not a great product, would rather spend those calories on quality hand made chocolates.... or on ingredients to make my own ;)

Spicy hot ganache filled dark chocolates

red_hot_lovers2.webp

Salted caramel pyramids

salted_caramel_pyramids.webp

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ghiradelli isn't good chocolate. There's a small growing number of handmade chocolate companies in the states. San Francisco, IIRC, has one such company. Free trade beans from South America, sea salt, spices from various countries, etc. A little pricy but good.

Every Xmas I buy those huge Toblerones. About 10 lb (4.5 kilos) of it through a distributor and pick it up myself. We have so much company over and it lasts through mid January. This last year I got sick soon after NYE so I gave my share to my brothers' kids. Chocolate doesn't satisfy my sweet tooth anymore. Bring on the monster sized cakes!

Last edited:
Hi guys! Long time no see, I hope everyone has been well and dining to a high standard in my absence! :D

As some of you may know I am now working as a Chef/PastryChef for a hotel, it's very long hours and very hard work, and I am sorry I haven't been around much and am no longer doing design work for XF, but I am having a lot of fun with the cooking and baking!

Here are a few photos of some recent meals from Chez Ritchie that you might enjoy....

If you ever want to chat about food, or ask a question, feel free to drop by http://yumforum.com and say hello! :D

brioche_burger2.webp
fish_romesco_sauce.webp
pulled_pork_slider2.webp
briocheMachDaddy.webp
steaksandwich_ciabatta.webp
spanish_tortilla_chicken_salad.webp

Of course after all those mains we will need some sweets....

passionfruitgateau.webp
aquarela_1stcakeorder.webp
PassionfruitTorte.webp
choux_profiteroles.webp

Oooooooooooh...I just gained 10 pounds! :oops:

That sounds like a good career change! I have to be honest and say that I'm burned out on I.T., coding, etc., after 24 years in it myself. I dread sitting in front of a computer for work anymore. I don't know if I'd be a chef for a living (I like cooking too much--that would ruin it for me), but there are plenty of other ways I can go.

Bumping this in the hopes Kim can help or someone...

Need a quality recipe for sweet polenta base that can be chilled and then cut and then baked or fried for a dessert.

Also a strong seafood based soup that's been thickened tastes remarkably nice with a carrot and apple salad with finely minced mint scooped right into the middle of the bowl. The hot and cool temperature difference and the salty to somewhat sweet/earthy flavor is remarkably nice.

Top Bottom