Food Fantasia

I thought this was a cooking thread, that's why I haven't been reading it. :D Well, that's what happens when you judge a thread by the cover. I'll be back. :)

Well cooking is the vehicle by which we arrive at eating :p

Hang around, you might even be tempted to jump on board this ride one day!!! :D

Right roast beef with 'erbs, for our American cousins, fresh from the garden. Follow along kids, this is easy to prepare and if I can make it without burning down the kitchen then there's hope for everyone.

View attachment 2285

So this is a piece of rump with all the excess fat removed, don't let them tell you that fat is needed to keep the meat tender there's a trick there. That would be fresh rosemary and bay leaves to the right. And yes fresh bay leaves are another dimension to any meal.

View attachment 2286
Have added mustard, the 'erbs mon, garlic (looks like apple in this shot), and a liberal dusting of ground black pepper and ground coriandor.

View attachment 2287
The Beef tied up and ready for the oven.

View attachment 2288

And the finished result, plated up and ready to eat.
Delectable ...classic with a nice flavor stash in the middle ... stay with that ...nothing like meat and potatoes in a world of microwaves and fast food
Nice work Kier, did you do the remodel yourself? (I'm a big do-it-yourselfer so that's something else we would have in common ;) )
ditto to that, that's a sick (awesome for the unfamiliar) kitchen , and I am also a DIY PHREAK and love taking everything and using it as it wasn't intended...for example latest project fold down bed/arcade machine and a webascope which is not nearly done but getting there.
My family is classic Italian-American and we have a kitchen on every floor in almost ever home. Each it's own intended purpose...if I were to take pictures of them you would notice a cloth table cloth with a plastic one over it to protect it...during meal times the most old school still cover the plastic one with another cloth one to protect the plastic. Italians...I love em.

Every time I come to this thread I feel like I'm in my fridge ...or someone else's actually. Speaking of which time to make food...I did earlier but I made it on a portable cook top because I was busy at the keyboard and multitasking and didn't want to quit so the pictures I took I must say show a bunch of randomness in it that wouldn't look to inviting to a diner guest so I will have to offer all of you a raincheck.

Well cooking is the vehicle by which we arrive at eating :p

Hang around, you might even be tempted to jump on board this ride one day!!! :D

No, really - I can't cook. There is just some critical cooking gene missing in me - anyone I've ever cooked for will tell you that. Or actually, they'd probably just launch straight into the "Christmas King Crab Legs" story, which they looove to tell even though that was the one time it wasn't my fault. But when your cooking has the kind of reputation that mine does, nobody believes that a whole dinner table full of people all just happened to get the flu at the same time. (But it wasn't food poisoning! The doctor backed me up on that!)

Will you show us an After shot Susan? :D
Sure, but right now it's torn down to studs. Yesterday, I ran all the electrical line above ground while James ran the runs back to the breaker box under the floors. Today, we wire it all up and hopefully close the walls up by the weekend. :0

electrical-1.webp

Sure, but right now it's torn down to studs. Yesterday, I ran all the electrical line above ground while James ran the runs back to the breaker box under the floors. Today, we wire it all up and hopefully close the walls up by the weekend. :0

View attachment 2309

wow.. you weren't kidding :p hehehe Hey that is awesome that you are doing this yourselves :D we have no skills with building type things at all :( I can paint something, or tile a wall, but I have no skills other than that.. wow electrical wiring.. you go girl! :D

Can't wait to see the finished result :cool:

No, really - I can't cook. There is just some critical cooking gene missing in me - anyone I've ever cooked for will tell you that. Or actually, they'd probably just launch straight into the "Christmas King Crab Legs" story, which they looove to tell even though that was the one time it wasn't my fault. But when your cooking has the kind of reputation that mine does, nobody believes that a whole dinner table full of people all just happened to get the flu at the same time. (But it wasn't food poisoning! The doctor backed me up on that!)

That sounds like a fun story :p hehehe OK we will let you off cooking .. but you can still talk about food in general, what you ate for X meal etc :p

Oh .. but since page 5 I think there is a blanket ban on breaded testicles.. so don't go there :p

sooooo anyway... for dinner tonight I made a Sri Lankan Prawn (shrimp) and fish curry... MMMMmmm it was sooo good! No rice, sopped up the sauce with naan bread.

I will put a how to on my food blog tomorrow.

Yum!
srilankan_prawnfishcurry.webp

Oh and just to prove I am not a food nazi... this is what my son had.. bear in mind he is a 14 year old with a pretty limited palette he won't eat curry or anything in a sauce actually, so everytime I make something like the curry we had, I have to make him something different... which ranges, but at the moment he is going through a fishfinger/stick phase.....there were veggies, just didn't want to ruin the wonderful tower so they were added after this shot.

fishsticks.webp

I'd like to add some Turkish dishes to this thread. Have any of you guys ever tried Turkish food? it's so yummy and fresh, we eat it most nights although I do like to eat a mixture of cuisines (mainly - Indian, Turkish, Italian, Dutch, Thai, Indonesian, British...)

Pide - Turkish Pizza. Pretty easy to make yourself, but most of the restaurants do this and it's inexpensive. You can even take your own meat to the restaurant and they will use it to make your pide for you.
24zassg.jpg

Sigara börek - Pastry that is often filled with feta cheese, potato, parsley and sometimes with minced meat or sausage. A variety of vegetables, herbs and spices are used in böreks such as spinach, nettle, leek, potato, eggplant, courgette, ground black pepper. It's very delicious and a great snack, or tapas.
292mzv4.jpg

Iskender Kebab - thinly cut grilled lamb or beef basted with tomato saucehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_sauce over pieces of pide bread and generously slathered with melted butter or yogurt. I still can't get used to eating yogurt with meat, so I usually do mine without.
246rmfo.jpg

Cacık - one of my favourite things to eat. It's seasoned, diluted yogurt (called tzatziki in Greece) it's made of yogut, salt, olive oil, crushed garlic, chopped cucumber, dill mint and lime juice. It's delicious to dip freshly made bread in to.
jjo9wl.jpg

Mantı - It's similar to our ravioli. it's typically served topped with yogurt and garlic and spiced with red pepper powder and melted butter.
10h9bbc.jpg

Menemen - Baically Turkish scrambled eggs, cooked with Mediterranean vegetables and flavourings. This can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or for dinner during the hot Summer months.
hx50md.jpg

Dolma - stuffed grape leaves sometimes called yaprak dolma with filling basically consisting of rice, minced meat or grain. In many different versions, the filling includes onion, parsley, herbs and spices. Meatless fillings are cooked with olive oil and include raisins, currants, and nuts.
1534qkm.jpg

Karnıyarık (literally meaning 'slit belly' in Turkish) is a dish consisting of an eggplant stuffed with a mix of sautéed chopped onions, garlic, black pepper, tomatoes, parsley and ground meat.
sx2ghv.jpg

Sorry I went off on a ramble then, but Turkish food really is very good. :)

I'd like to add some Turkish dishes to this thread. Have any of you guys ever tried Turkish food? it's so yummy and fresh, we eat it most nights although I do like to eat a mixture of cuisines (mainly - Indian, Turkish, Italian, Dutch, Thai, Indonesian, British...)

Mmmm yummy! that all looks delectable.. except the scrambled eggs which *looks* rather worrying, but I am sure tasted great :D

They are all flavours I would love! I have had Turkish food before at restaurants, but not really cooked it at home. Might have to hunt out some recipes!

Top Bottom