Food Fantasia

Today it is "open fridge, put in frying pan, put on sandwich, see what tastes ok" day.

mushrooms, tomato, cucumber, bacon, cheese, buns of bread and some eggs. I rather have had pickle than cucumber, but hey ..

some_sandwich.png

This is a really simple Chinese dish. It's not something that you will see on Western Chinese menus but it is really popular in Hong Kong.

pai gwut rice.webp

Pork ribs marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, chillies, black bean and garlic. Cooked by steaming in the rice cooker as the rice cooks. The ribs are ready when the rice is done. The veg is just iceberg lettuce blanched in boiling water with a little salt and olive oil, then drizzled with a bit of oyster sauce (it would normally be a proper Chinese veg like choi sum but iceberg lettuce is easy to get and I like that it's still a little crunchy even when it's cooked). A bit of soy sauce on the rice.

Perfect comfort food with no fuss. Even less fuss because I didn't even marinade the ribs myself - bought them at the Chinese supermarket :p

haha! Well sometimes when you get those cravings, there's nothing else that will satisfy! I'm glad you got to have some good soup! :D Doesn't sound insane to me ...but then he's a guy so maybe they don't get cravings like we do? hahaha!
I'm sure he thought I was going to order one of the $10 - $15 meals that this restaurant is famous for. But I just wanted soup and garlic bread!

This is a really simple Chinese dish. It's not something that you will see on Western Chinese menus but it is really popular in Hong Kong.

View attachment 5037

Pork ribs marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, chillies, black bean and garlic. Cooked by steaming in the rice cooker as the rice cooks. The ribs are ready when the rice is done. The veg is just iceberg lettuce blanched in boiling water with a little salt and olive oil, then drizzled with a bit of oyster sauce (it would normally be a proper Chinese veg like choi sum but iceberg lettuce is easy to get and I like that it's still a little crunchy even when it's cooked). A bit of soy sauce on the rice.

Perfect comfort food with no fuss. Even less fuss because I didn't even marinade the ribs myself - bought them at the Chinese supermarket :p

That looks yum Evalyn, I have had something similar in a Chinese restaurant, very tasty :)

hey Lovely Londoner
hiya.gif

I just made your Turkish Lentil soup from a few pages ago... The boys both had bacon and egg sandwiches for dinner, but I really fancied some soup, had chopped up and sauted - half an onion, a carrot, some sweet potato and a zuchini, was going to make a veggie soup when I suddenly remembered your recipe :D so I did it a bit backwards, cooked the lentils in with the veggies not first, but it worked out absolutely brilliantly :D I love it! The lemon and chilli butter really add to it as well I must say!

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe, and keep them coming! :D

turkish_lentil_soup.webp

hey Lovely Londoner
hiya.gif

I just made your Turkish Lentil soup from a few pages ago... The boys both had bacon and egg sandwiches for dinner, but I really fancied some soup, had chopped up and sauted - half an onion, a carrot, some sweet potato and a zuchini, was going to make a veggie soup when I suddenly remembered your recipe :D so I did it a bit backwards, cooked the lentils in with the veggies not first, but it worked out absolutely brilliantly :D I love it! The lemon and chilli butter really add to it as well I must say!

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe, and keep them coming! :D

Hello sweetie,

I'm glad you liked it. It looks very very nice btw! :) I took pics of my bulgur pilaf and home made meatballs and chicken graten a few weeks ago but my hubby deleted the pics by mistake! So I have to make them again, will definitely send you the recipes. I also have a new tomato soup recipe which I will be trying soon. :p

Hello sweetie,

I'm glad you liked it. It looks very very nice btw! :) I took pics of my bulgur pilaf and home made meatballs and chicken graten a few weeks ago but my hubby deleted the pics by mistake! So I have to make them again, will definitely send you the recipes. I also have a new tomato soup recipe which I will be trying soon. :p

I'm blaming your husband for the bacon and egg sandwiches last night, he mentioned the B word ... the rest was history :(

My brothers and his fiance came over for dinner last night, made them fresh Chocolate Lava Cakes for dessert, they turned out amazing.

Hello sweetie,

Boo! Bad Brogan :p

I would love the recipes thanks hun! :D

Top Bottom