Food Fantasia

Went to Thai Bistro & Sushi Restaurant today for dinner it was awesome :p

yum! Thai, and also Japanese are two of my favourite cuisines! mmmm

going to make a Thai Green curry for dinner tonight I think, some kind of Chicken curry anyway.

Seared Rump Steak, sauteed mushrooms, caramelised onions...on a special BBQ sauce base mmmmm it was good!

Oh...what time are you having us over?? ;)

I made a rump roast last week. What I did was season and flour the entire outside of it, then seared it to a dark brown in the skillet. Then I roasted as normal. We usually fight over the end pieces. :D

Oh...what time are you having us over?? ;)

I made a rump roast last week. What I did was season and flour the entire outside of it, then seared it to a dark brown in the skillet. Then I roasted as normal. We usually fight over the end pieces. :D

I really love the flavour of Rump - we can buy whole or half rumps here very cheaply ($5.90 per KG) and often do a rump roast, first we remove all the fat, then stuff it with herbs before tying up and rubbing over with Olive oil, then searing it in a very hot oven for half an hour, before reducing the temp until done to rare (how we all like it) mmmmmm *drool*

here's some pics of one we did a while ago...

roastbeef_defat.webp roastbeef_herbs.webp roastbeef_trussed.webp roastbeef_jus1.webp

Vietnamese & Thai are two of my favourite :p

I adore Vietnamese too, more so than Thai actually! :D

The other half's away for a few weeks so it's quick and simple until she gets back (I haven't got time to cook and answer questions on here ;)).

So tonight it's chopped and shaped herby meat parcels on a bed of creamed, spiced, potato with a side of lightly minted petit-pois.

Or as I like to call it, bangers and mash with peas :D

That looks awesome. I have to do our monthly provisions run tomorrow. Looking for interesting, but healthy things to try. Any ideas? Would love to do more Asian cooking - Thai, Vietnamese, etc., and I have a hankering to try my hand at Indian which I've never tried to make (I know, for shame!). What're your favorites?

I really love the flavour of Rump - we can buy whole or half rumps here very cheaply ($5.90 per KG) and often do a rump roast, first we remove all the fat, then stuff it with herbs before tying up and rubbing over with Olive oil, then searing it in a very hot oven for half an hour, before reducing the temp until done to rare (how we all like it) mmmmmm *drool*

Searing it in the pan has a similar effect, but I usually make it a bit more brown than what I've gotten in the oven. I've used the hot oven method as well, especially if doing a pork loin roast. I know my ancestors would probably be yelling at me, but I take pork out of the oven or off the grill when it still has a little pink left to it. The temperature still rises a bit after it comes out of the oven, and I let it rest for about 10-15 minutes before slicing. By that time the pink has pretty much gone, but the meat is nice and juicy. Pork is one of those meats that in modern times, you don't have to cook within an inch of its life to make sure nobody gets sick. :D (I had so many relatives panic whenever pork wasn't cooked well done. Bleh.)

That looks awesome. I have to do our monthly provisions run tomorrow. Looking for interesting, but healthy things to try. Any ideas? Would love to do more Asian cooking - Thai, Vietnamese, etc., and I have a hankering to try my hand at Indian which I've never tried to make (I know, for shame!). What're your favorites?

Hey Susan! :D the good thing about all those cuisines, is they are either inherently or very easily adapted to be Gluten Free! And they are fun foods :)

For Indian recipes, how to's and for the sheer enjoyment of watching him.... you really can't go past Sanjay's site... http://www.vahrehvah.com/videos.php

I would highly recommend for the kids (not too hot)...

Butter Chicken,
Chicken Tikka Masala
Biryani - Veg or chicken or whatever you like.
Samosas - if you can get or make Gluten Free pastry.

Try those to start, there are recipes for all those and hundreds more gorgeous Indian meals on Sanjay's site, he is wonderful!

For Thai,

I would think something like Chicken Pad Thai would be a great place to start... very simple combination of Rice noodles, chicken, veggies, herbs and sweet chilli (not hot) flavours... or perhaps Thai Stir Fry.

Searing it in the pan has a similar effect, but I usually make it a bit more brown than what I've gotten in the oven. I've used the hot oven method as well, especially if doing a pork loin roast. I know my ancestors would probably be yelling at me, but I take pork out of the oven or off the grill when it still has a little pink left to it. The temperature still rises a bit after it comes out of the oven, and I let it rest for about 10-15 minutes before slicing. By that time the pink has pretty much gone, but the meat is nice and juicy. Pork is one of those meats that in modern times, you don't have to cook within an inch of its life to make sure nobody gets sick. :D (I had so many relatives panic whenever pork wasn't cooked well done. Bleh.)

That is so true about Pork these days, I used to freak out about pork not being cooked enough, until I read that the notion of overcooking it was to kill bacteria in wild pigs, it has no basis in reality these days for farmed pork.

<snip>

For Thai,

I would think something like Chicken Pad Thai would be a great place to start... very simple combination of Rice noodles, chicken, veggies, herbs and sweet chilli (not hot) flavours... or perhaps Thai Stir Fry.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I watched his video before on Chicken Tikka Masala - I'm pretty sure that's what I had last summer in NYC from some vendor in the middle of the night. It was fabulous, but I couldn't remember what it was.

As for Pad Thai - the kids do like that. Matter of fact, I can make about any combination of things with broad flat rice noodles and as long as I CALL it Pad Thai, they'll eat it. lol I'll pick up some fresh basil and some rice paper if I can find it tomorrow. Seems like Spring Rolls would be a yummy thing this time of year....mmm, peanut dipping sauce!

Thai, Japanese, and Chinese are mine. Mexican comes a close second.

Agreed! Love Vietnamese as well. So many choices!

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I watched his video before on Chicken Tikka Masala - I'm pretty sure that's what I had last summer in NYC from some vendor in the middle of the night. It was fabulous, but I couldn't remember what it was

Chicken Tikka Masala is awesome if you can make it :P second comes chicken biryani within good indian food others are Naan Roti's or Parathas .

Chicken Tikka - You will need those Indian spices to mix . Chicken Biryani is much easier if you want to give it a try :P

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I watched his video before on Chicken Tikka Masala - I'm pretty sure that's what I had last summer in NYC from some vendor in the middle of the night. It was fabulous, but I couldn't remember what it was.

As for Pad Thai - the kids do like that. Matter of fact, I can make about any combination of things with broad flat rice noodles and as long as I CALL it Pad Thai, they'll eat it. lol I'll pick up some fresh basil and some rice paper if I can find it tomorrow. Seems like Spring Rolls would be a yummy thing this time of year....mmm, peanut dipping sauce!

Agreed! Love Vietnamese as well. So many choices!

Hahhaa well that is good that they will eat it :D My son is very unadventurous when it comes to food, and won't eat anything where it is all "mixed up" like that unfortunately... makes it difficult.

You might like to try this recipe for Vietnamese (cooked) spring rolls, absolutely devine if I do say so myself! :D if you prefer more veggies in them you could add them, but these meaty little boys are mmmmmmm soooo good!

http://www.masalamojo.com/?p=94

Yum, yum...thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll soak some mung beans tonight to sprout. Always better with fresh! I'll take a look at your blog, Kim - thanks for the reference!

Hahhaa well that is good that they will eat it :D My son is very unadventurous when it comes to food, and won't eat anything where it is all "mixed up" like that unfortunately... makes it difficult.

Heh my son is the same way. The only thing he will eat that's all "mixed up" is spaghetti. I've been able to get him to eat that only within the past 2 years.
Other than that, anything on his plate must not be touching... meat, veggie, rice or potato, has to be separate, and he eats them one at a time, with meat always last.
NO soups or soupy-like substances, no mac & cheese (tell me what kid doesn't like macaroni & cheese!). My one saving grace is that he LOVES vegetables, of just about any kind. Thank GOD for small favors.

Heh my son is the same way. The only thing he will eat that's all "mixed up" is spaghetti. I've been able to get him to eat that only within the past 2 years.
Other than that, anything on his plate must not be touching... meat, veggie, rice or potato, has to be separate, and he eats them one at a time, with meat always last.
NO soups or soupy-like substances, no mac & cheese (tell me what kid doesn't like macaroni & cheese!). My one saving grace is that he LOVES vegetables, of just about any kind. Thank GOD for small favors.

hehehe yeah mine is the same!!! it is a very Aspie/Autie trait to not want food touching, nor to be able to cope with more than one flavour or texture in their mouths at once. You are lucky you can get your son to eat Spaghetti, mine won't touch it, the only pasta he will eat is plain with a little olive oil/butter and parmesan cheese, he will not eat any kind of sauce!

Amazingly they did Tacos at school, and he was very taken with them, so it is literally the ONLY thing he will eat that 1. has a sauce and wet feel, and 2. has more than two things mixed up! I thought it was due to him making it himself, so we have tried lots of other things with him cooking, but No go, just can't cope with them.

As promised, my adventures in Cheeseland :D

http://www.masalamojo.com/?p=154

Here is the result...

View attachment 11482

Thanks for the link!

Never stopped to think about making my own ricotta before, but have done about 4 times since this post. Apart from on bread or as part of a lasagna, fresh ricotta with mascerated strawberries (sliced, sprinkled generously with sugar and left to sit for a few hours) and vintage balsamic is my fave :)

Thanks for the link!

Never stopped to think about making my own ricotta before, but have done about 4 times since this post. Apart from on bread or as part of a lasagna, fresh ricotta with mascerated strawberries (sliced, sprinkled generously with sugar and left to sit for a few hours) and vintage balsamic is my fave :)

Hey that is really cool :D Thanks for letting me know Dartho!

I have made ricotta since too, it is indeed very cool to be able to make your own, I do love stuff like that :D

I have also now made Ricotta! Made it today with 2% organic pasteurized milk. Next time I'll try it with whole milk, but suddenly realized the organic milk I bought yesterday wasn't ultra-pasteurized like most, so I gave it a whirl! Thanks for the recipe and the confidence to make my own. It was SO easy!

After making the ricotta, I made lasagna some homemade italian sausage and the yummy from scratch sauce that hubs and the kids made last night when I was out. It was scrumptious!

lasagna-1.webp

Top Bottom