Food Fantasia

Dragonfly, I said a while ago I'd give you a recipe for challah and I've been meaning to for ages but never got around to it.

Anyway, here's the recipe I've used for as long as I can remember (not sure exactly where I got it from - sorry)...

It makes a large amount of dough - enough for at least 2 large sized loaves.

1 pint warm water (~45*C)
1tbsp dried yeast
7 tbsp honey
4 tbsp vegetable oil
3 eggs (NB. only use 2 in the dough, one is for glazing)
1 tbsp salt
1 kg plain flour
1 tbsp poppy seeds

In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water. Beat in the honey, oil, 2 eggs and salt. Add the flour in small amounts, beating well after each addition (you may need more flour than the recipe says), graduating to kneading with hands as the dough thickens.

Knead until smooth, elastic and no longer sticky, adding more flour as needed. Cover with clean damp cloth and let rise for 1.5 hours or until dough doubles in size. While you're waiting, grease 2 baking sheets (though this shouldn't take you 1.5hrs lol :p)

Punch down the risen dough and turn out onto floured surface. Divide in half (if making 2 loaves, more if making more smaller loaves) and knead each half for 5 mins or so, adding flour as needed to keep it from getting sticky.

Divide each half into 3rds (or 6ths if doing traditional 6-braided plait) and roll into long 'snakes' about 4cm in diameter. Pinch ends and plait together. Place a finished plait on each baking tray and cover with a damp towel and let rise for about an hour.

Preheat oven to 190C / Gas Mark 5

Beat remaining egg and brush generously over each plait. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.

Bake in oven for about 40 mins. Bread should have nice hollow sound when tapped. Cool on a rack for at least one hour before serving.

My notes:

This bread doesn't keep longer than a day really, though it does freeze well.
It's really good when eaten sprinkled with salt (as is usually done for Shabbat). :)

Thanks for the recipe Jo :D I might have to give that a go! Sounds quite sweet, does it taste sweet?

It is quite sweet but not massively so. It's really good with salt sprinkled on instead of spread with butter - I recommend trying it like that. It's yummy though. :)

I wish I had a picture but I haven't baked any for a while since I've not been well enough, but here's a pic I found online (http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/2926/my-daily-bread-challah):
Challah.webp

Next time I bake some I'll try to remember to take a pic. :)

Just googled, a Pint in the UK/Australia is apparently 568.26 mL Whilst in the USA it is 473.18 mL

Funny coz here the old pint milk bottles when we converted were 600mls - confusing!

Metric FTW, no doubts then :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_weights_and_measures

It's funny how different countries have different values for stuff like this. Like our tbsp is 15ml but yours is 20ml according to wikipedia!

I found trying to follow American recipes so confusing and frustrating that I ended up just buying a set of their cups lol. :P

Our Friday Night pizza was Smoked Salmon, Prawn and Brie, with a touch of basil....MMMM scrummy!

View attachment 10532

Big fan of your pizzas Dragonfly, if only I could eat them :D

It is quite sweet but not massively so. It's really good with salt sprinkled on instead of spread with butter - I recommend trying it like that. It's yummy though. :)

I wish I had a picture but I haven't baked any for a while since I've not been well enough, but here's a pic I found online (http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/2926/my-daily-bread-challah):
View attachment 10530

Next time I bake some I'll try to remember to take a pic. :)

These look delicious Jo. :)

On Sunday I had some pizza dough left over (yes it keeps for a few days in the fridge) so I made a potato and rosemary pizza... it is meant to be a gourmet classic, but it left me pretty underwhelmed I have to say... nice enough, but not something I would rush to do again...

potato_rosemary_pizza.webp

Tonight we had a spicy Hot Malay Prawn Laksa, now that was yummy!!! :D

kingprawn_laksa.webp

Bananas have started to really go up in price due to the huge damage of the recent Cyclone in Queensland here in Australia, but yesterday I got a bag of ripe bananas quite cheaply, and they were just perfect for cooking... so I made a loaf of Banana Bread which is my son's fave! I also made a batch of Banana, Walnut, Sultana (golden raisins) muffins. Quite yummy!

banana_bread.webp

banana_walnut_sultana_muffins.webp

Ricotta Cheesecake

DSC_0001.jpg

3 lbs ricotta
1.5 cups sugar
8 large eggs
1 tbs lemon zest
1 tbs orange zest
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup cornstarch

Preheat oven to 350 deg F.

Butter a 9" spring form pan. Dust w/flour and tap out. Place pan on a 12" square of heavy aluminum foil. Mold foil around pan tightly so water can not seep in.

Puree the ricotta until very smooth. Pour the ricotta into a large bowl and add eggs, vanilla, and zests whisking until well blended.

Stir together the sugar and cornstarch. Add to the ricotta mixture until smooth.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Place pan in a large roasting pan and place in middle of oven. Carefully pour hot water to come to a depth of 1 inch into the roasting pan. Bake for 1.5 hours or until the top of cheesecake is golden and a knife inserted 2 inches from center of the cake comes out clean.

Turn off oven, propping oven door open with a wooden spoon. Let cake cool for 30 minutes in the turned off oven.

Remove cake from oven and roasting pan, remove foil and continue to cool on a wire rack until room temperature.

Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.

I make this about 3 times a year. We have a forum on food and drink ;) http://www.teachlearncommunicate.com/xenforum/index.php?forums/home-leisure.49/

Just as an FYI, on this one, I crushed graham crackers and used that in place of dusting the pan with flour. Gotta change it up every so often. :p

Bananas have started to really go up in price due to the huge damage of the recent Cyclone in Queensland here in Australia, but yesterday I got a bag of ripe bananas quite cheaply, and they were just perfect for cooking... so I made a loaf of Banana Bread which is my son's fave! I also made a batch of Banana, Walnut, Sultana (golden raisins) muffins. Quite yummy!

View attachment 10790

View attachment 10791

Oh YUM!!! I love banana bread! :) The muffins look good too - banana cake is good with sultanas and walnuts in! :)

Top Bottom