XF 2.0 Font Awesome source

Sunka

I do not understand this option:
Locally hosted
Bootstrap CDN
Controls the source of the Font Awesome library. You may host this yourself (Local) or use the recommended CDN source.

In xf1 I just add in PAGE_CONTAINER template this <script src="https://use.fontawesome.com/xxxxxxx.js"></script>
What to choose in above option to serve FA in similiar way like in XF1?
Should I add again same line for FA4 in PAGE_CONTAINER template, and for FA5 just replaced with similiar one?

What option to choose than?

Font awesome is built in XF2. No need to add any lines in templates anymore.
I just leave mine on the default as it dont hurt anything, but if I did, it would be the bootstap cdn.

Any idea what version of font awesome is included? I couldn't get a couple things to load and I'm not sure if it's because they're not available or something else.

Is there scope for having the FA version configurable in a future release? Are they backward compatible? So XF2 could test on the latest available at the time, but customers could roll it onto a later version if desired?

There's no plans for FA4/5 interoperability as they are certainly not backwards compatible. There's unlikely to be any further 4.x releases but once we support FA 5.x it should be fairly trivial to include, say, 5.0.x or 5.x.x etc. as long as the changes aren't too significant. Generally it would be a case of uploading the new files (if hosted locally) and changing the version in the templates.

While the vast majority of the font stayed the same, they did change the prefix for some of them from fa to far I believe.

So it would be VERY easy to implement the change, but technically they wouldn't be backwards compatible out of the box I wouldn't think.

What I was trying to figure out was whether I could use the newer FA version on the entire site, instead of having two versions that would both have to be loaded by visitors.

Top Bottom