Font Awesome - Local Install [Deleted]

Adam Howard

Adam Howard submitted a new resource:

Font Awesome - Local Install - Compatible with ALL Xenforo Font Awesome add-ons

While it is true, you can use the remote CDN method
PHP:
<link href="//netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.1.0/css/font-awesome.min.css" rel="stylesheet">
You are completely dependent on an outside source and it can add more page lookup time to your site.

I am often surprised people do not know you can host Font Awesome locally.

Step 1
Download latest copy of Font Awesome
http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/

Step...

Read more about this resource...

The provided CDN is not good enough? :)
I think because so many sites are beginning to use it more, sometimes I have noticed it being slower than my own site. Also regardless, you're still adding another lookup by using something off site.

I think it's good practice to not depend on an outside source whenever possible. And for those who would agree, they now have a clear guide on how to do it themselves.

Tip:

When adding your domain name, add only your domain name....

Bad:

http://domain.com
www.domain.com

Good:

domain.com

So somebody that doesn't use a www subdomain is required to create one, just to use this add-on?

Glad I didn't download it.

Instead of declaring the domain, I just use this code:
Code:
/font-awesome/css/font-awesome.min.css
Does not work in all instances.

Also wrote the guide as generic as possible to include all possible setups including cookieless domains.

On what scenario it will not work?
FontAweSome files are now hosted locally on my server, I didn't notice any problems here.

Your way works on just fine on my desktop. (y)

But when using a an old kindle, so older version of Android (not so well). Could be just browser dependent? :cautious:

Either way, I'll keep the guide 'as is' to include the possibility of cookieless domains (and maybe backward compatibility).

Care to share how you resolved it?

I don't use pagespeed, but I imagine others here may
I disable LazyLoad Image filter of ngx_pagespeed cause it's buggy right now.
@RoldanLT just do what I did

HTML:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="css.php?css=xenforo,form,public&amp;style=2&amp;dir=LTR&amp;d=1401635361"/>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="font-awesome/css/font-awesome.min.css">

works fine with Centmin Mod Nginx + ngx_pagespeed module http://community.centminmod.com/threads/font-awesome-is-awesome.180/ :)
Would this one not enough?
Code:
//www.phcorner.net/font-awesome/css/font-awesome.min.css

Adam Howard updated Font Awesome - Local Install with a new update entry:

guide tweak

• Included local download (thanks Dave Gandy for producing and developing Font Awesome). This will allow me to update the resource and inform people when there is an update (so it's a good idea to follow this resource).
  • Added small side note in step 3 (Yes, you do want to include the dash in the folder name).
  • Added upgrade instructions.
  • Version of resource will always reflect current version number of Font Awesome
If you have already downloaded a local copy of Font...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom