• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Font Awesome - Local Install [Deleted]

Adam Howard

Adam Howard submitted a new resource:

Font Awesome - Local Install - Compatible with ALL Xenforo Font Awesome add-ons

While it is true, you can use the remote CDN method
PHP:
<link href="//netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.1.0/css/font-awesome.min.css" rel="stylesheet">
You are completely dependent on an outside source and it can add more page lookup time to your site.

I am often surprised people do not know you can host Font Awesome locally.

Step 1
Download latest copy of Font Awesome
http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/

Step...
Read more about this resource...

Adam Howard

The provided CDN is not good enough? :)
I think because so many sites are beginning to use it more, sometimes I have noticed it being slower than my own site. Also regardless, you're still adding another lookup by using something off site.

I think it's good practice to not depend on an outside source whenever possible. And for those who would agree, they now have a clear guide on how to do it themselves.

SneakyDave

So somebody that doesn't use a www subdomain is required to create one, just to use this add-on?

Glad I didn't download it.

Adam Howard

On what scenario it will not work?
FontAweSome files are now hosted locally on my server, I didn't notice any problems here.
Your way works on just fine on my desktop. (y)

But when using a an old kindle, so older version of Android (not so well). Could be just browser dependent? :cautious:

Either way, I'll keep the guide 'as is' to include the possibility of cookieless domains (and maybe backward compatibility).

RoldanLT

Care to share how you resolved it?

I don't use pagespeed, but I imagine others here may
I disable LazyLoad Image filter of ngx_pagespeed cause it's buggy right now.
@RoldanLT just do what I did

HTML:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="css.php?css=xenforo,form,public&amp;style=2&amp;dir=LTR&amp;d=1401635361"/>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="font-awesome/css/font-awesome.min.css">
works fine with Centmin Mod Nginx + ngx_pagespeed module http://community.centminmod.com/threads/font-awesome-is-awesome.180/ :)
Would this one not enough?
Code:
//www.phcorner.net/font-awesome/css/font-awesome.min.css

Adam Howard

Adam Howard updated Font Awesome - Local Install with a new update entry:

guide tweak

• Included local download (thanks Dave Gandy for producing and developing Font Awesome). This will allow me to update the resource and inform people when there is an update (so it's a good idea to follow this resource).
  • Added small side note in step 3 (Yes, you do want to include the dash in the folder name).
  • Added upgrade instructions.
  • Version of resource will always reflect current version number of Font Awesome
If you have already downloaded a local copy of Font...
Read the rest of this update entry...