XF 1.4 Following and conversation

sbj

1. What are the benefits of following? I don't understand how this is supposed to work. Here on Xenforo, I follow just 1 person and the only difference I realized was that I see his avatar on "online members".
For what is this good or can someone explain me the basics of the benefits?

2. I couldn't find any option to make a limit to conversations. Like on vbulletin a member was allowed to save 100 (1000, etc.) private messages.

- On Xenforo there is no such limit (except when I would install an add-on for this), right?
- Are there any automated settings which deletes old conversations or sth? I don't want that people lose their pms. I want to be sure.
- What happens when someone leaves the conversations? Will his conversation still saved in his account? Same for the user he tallked to?

If you have your privacy options set accordingly, only those you follow will be able to access your profile, start conversations with you, etc.
You also get a personalised news feed for those you follow: https://xenforo.com/community/account/news-feed

There is no option to limit the number of conversations.

Conversations will only be deleted once all participants have left them.

Reactions: sbj
So if someone leaves accidentally a conversation and the contacted person left before, your conversation gets deleted?
This sounds not good.

And let's say I want to delete some of my conversations but yet I can't do it because my contacted person must also leave the conversation.

This is a bit strange but let's hope I can find an add-on to fix this :).

Ah, and thanks for explaining me the following thing.

So if someone leaves accidentally a conversation and the contacted person left before, your conversation gets deleted?
It's not really that easy to accidentally leave a conversation.
It requires clicking the link and then confirming it.

And let's say I want to delete some of my conversations but yet I can't do it because my contacted person must also leave the conversation.
If you leave them, to all intents and purposes they are deleted for you.
It's no different to you deleting an email from your email client yet the recipient doesn't delete it from theirs.

It's not really that easy to accidentally leave a conversation.
It requires clicking the link and then confirming it.
Yeah, but it is confusing. I didn't know until now what leaving a message suppose to mean. Now I know it means deleting.
So people will be curious about this option. They will want to test it and leave a conversation.

If you leave them, to all intents and purposes they are deleted for you.
It's no different to you deleting an email from your email client yet the recipient doesn't delete it from theirs.
Ah, ok, thanks. I missunderstood then. You said "conversations will be deleted once all participants left them". You meant for the system it will be completely gone when everyone leaves.

Thank you.

Top Bottom