Follow Permissions - Remove ability to follow other members

Follow Permissions - Remove ability to follow other members 1.1

No permission to download

RobinHood

RobinHood submitted a new resource:

Follow Permissions - Remove ability to follow other members - Adds an extra permission that can be used to revoke the ability for users to follow other members

This is a small add on that adds an extra permission.

This permission allows admins to revoke the ability for users to be able to use the follow functionality.

This can be useful if users are abusing the functionality or if you have membership groups that are heavily locked down and you want finer granularity over how then can interact with the rest of the community.

How do I use it?
Once installed, apply the permission to the relevant user groups or users you want to remove the...

Read more about this resource...

This is a good idea, but users can still follow users if they know how to construct the URL. Best way to remove the ability is to do it via the files by extending the function.

This is a good idea, but users can still follow users if they know how to construct the URL. Best way to remove the ability is to do it via the files by extending the function.

Indeed, if someone was incredibly determined they could still manually construct the URL.

It wasn't originally built for removal of the button due to abuse, but more to aid in the creation of a heavily locked down user group to have a read only account on a community. The follow button was one of the few ways left of engaging with the community when posting, reacting and conversations could all be controlled and disabled out of the box.

I appreciated the feedback though, and in the interest of completeness I've had a crack at your suggestion and extended Member.php to add an extra check and throw an error if a user tries to be sneaky :)

1615123360735.png

Very nice. Thank you.
Next one could be:
Decide
if others should see your follower or who should see it
if others should see who you follow or who should see it

I dont think so.
Can you split and show your followers, but not who you are following or vice versa?
Can you show details, but not followers and following?

Top Bottom