Who will win?

• Floyd Mayweather Jr

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Manny Pacquiao

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ROUND 1
We're off! Finally! Manny coming forward. Floyd looking to counter, to stick. Floyd looks sharp. Floyd lands his first straight right, bit of snap in that, now back to the jap, Floyd is finding his range really well here. Two minutes minute in, Floyd looking the more assured. Another straight right from Floyd. Hmm, I am giving that round squarely to Floyd Mayweather.

Gareth A Davies: "Brilliant first round by Mayweather. Controlled everything: centre of the ring, landed that dangerous right hand twice - the second time just buckling Pacman's legs a little, and ALSO was even setting traps to land a big right by drawing Manny in." Mayweather 10-9

fight-10_3289894b.jpg

ROUND 2
Manny lunges and Floyd tags him. Slight slip from Floyd, but that was just a footing thing. Manny bringing great energy, but swinging wildly. Manny grabs Floyd. He's managed to back him into the corner but it's more by wrestling than fighting. Pac like a little bull, head down charging. Mayweather defence looking impeccable. Crowd are roaring Manny forward but it's like trying to thump a shadow at the moment. The bell goes and I would say that round was a tie, Floyd didn't really throw that many. Manny threw a lot, but just didn't land. Latoya writes:

"First comment from a lady??? Manny is humble and has promised to do good with all his winnings so I'm cheering and praying with the whole of the Philippines that he wins. Buttttt it's likely that Floyd will take it. I hate it. But Floyd to win.

Gareth A Davies' verdict: Apart from one combination, Pacquiao is being out moved and that right hand of Floyd's looks so dangerous. They are calling for Pacman but this is all FM. Already 5/6 long straight rights. Mayweather really in the mood. Beautiful to watch. Mayweather 10-9

ROUND 3
Off and running again. Manny has barely landed one. Fight settling into a pattern. Pac charges... but Floyd is not there. There's a shot from Manny though, lunging right that glances. Floyd throws a couple towards the end of the round. Mayweather stuck Manny with a low blow in that round, it glanced off Manny's glove.
fight-manny-corner_3289895a.jpg

ROUND 4
More promising start to this round. Manny is throwing at an incredible rate and he has landed a couple at the start of round four. And now here's a flurry of blows from Manny! pings him with a left, he's into this now and he has hurt Floyd, who is covering up on the ropes. And now he's caught him with a right in the cenre of the ring, this is Manny's best few monents yet. This is more like it for Manny, he's whaling punches on him but Mayweather's defence is very, very good. A huge number of blows but how many of them actually hurt is harder to say. He was working the body good and hard. That's Manny's round no doubt.
fight-round-2_3289896b.jpg

ROUND 5
Floyd needs, and gets, a quieter round. He's inviting Pac onto him. Manny cannot let the blood get up too much, get knocked out as he charges forward. Manny looking to "box" more in this round rather than the fourth round when he just went at him hard and whaling. Floyd's supporters will have enjoyed that round much more. At the end of the round, the ref tells Mayweather to keep his punches up.
fight-6-a_3289901b.jpg

ROUND 6
Manny ups the tempo again, as he must. And he manages to trap Floyd in the corner and unloads a flurry. Now he's got him on the ropes, pounding away at the body. Floyd shake his head! Saying, nah mate, not bothered. Floyd gets back out in the centre of the ring and has sort of taken control again, but until he can actually hurt Pacquaio, he is not going to shut him down. And who knows how the judges are scoring all this?
fight-8a_3289903b.jpg

ROUND 7
Floyd electric defence again, darting away from Manny. He's keeping Manny at distance in this round. Tags him with three jabs. That's money. A slower round. Carl Froch: "Manny needs to sustain the punch rate and I cannot see him doing that."

Gareth: "Mayweather attacks, uncharacteristically clumsy throwing the right. FM has come out looking to dominate and change pattern again. Lands good right hand. Pacman hunting bobbing looking for left handed attack again. Great left from MP inside the final minute sends Floyd backwards, but he wore it well. Then a left body shot with 12 seconds remaining from Pacman. Another close rd. Mayweather 10-9"

ROUND 8
Manny taking some more risks now. Lands a left, swings wildly and misses now. Jim Watt says: "you have to take risks against FM. You cannot beat him at his own game." Couple of flurries. Pac chasing it in this round but he's not really finding Floyd. Floyd dropping the hands now, starting to large it up a bit, Manny looking the more tired of the two I would say. It's been engaging and Mayeather's defence has been super, but there have only been sporadic squalls of real excitement. Floyd back in calm control in this round.

Gareth: "Winging left, then left uppercut from Pacman but Floyd still setting traps. Notice that straight right land from the ropes ? MP cannot afford to get reckless. Floyd could knock Manny out as he falls in. Couple of great left hooks from Floyd, That's new in this fight. Pacquiao 10-9"
fight-floyd-manny-_3289909b.jpg

ROUND 9
Nice lunging left from Manny gets through. But apart from that hard-charging spell in round four, Manny's been one shot at a time. not able to put enoguh combos together. Think we could get a fishy decision here though, maybe. Floyd not exactly looking to knock his man out. It's classy, it's composed - is it a bit bloodless? Will the judges judge it harshly?

Gareth says: "Floyd with the right hand. Great right from Floyd over the jab - great whiskers from MP. This is a great fight. The puncher/brawler against the stylist. Savour it - they will go down as greats. Great assasault from MP again. Close round but Pacquiao going for it and very much the aggressor. Floyd landed only a few single shots. Pacquiao 10-9"
fight-manny-floyd-_3289911b.jpg

ROUND 10
Come on Manny, up that rate. First minute of this round is pretty quiet, but Manny has barrelled Floyd into the corner. But Floyd is out of there like an otter slithering out of a pot of melted Nutella. "He needs to give the judges something to like," says Jim Watt. Manny having a good round though, he is making the running in this one. "I don't think he has got the strength or the fitness to do it. Mayweather has nullified him." CArl Froch makes a harsh assessment.

Gareth disagrees with the commentators: "That left of Pacquiao is thrilling. It brings the fight - and Floyd - very much alive., See that beautiful movement and defence from Floyd on the ropes. So hard to do, so brilliant. Manny the aggressor, Floyd now in winning on points mode. Not lot of punches landed This is going to be very close. Controversy brewing... Pacquiao 10-9
fight-manny-floyd-_3289914b.jpg

ROUND 11
Floyd tags Manny right from the bell! He's caught Manny there. But soon the fight resumes its pattern: Manny lunging forward, Floyd dancing out of the way. Manny not throwing enough. One punch attacks aren't going to do it against this counterpunching defensive genius. Left right combo from Mayweather.

Gareth says: "That's interesting. Floyd coming out at the start of the winging right hand. They land. It's to get the judges' attention. He knows it is quite close Mayweather's use of the jab in this fight, to measure his right hand, has been brilliant. Pacquiao still attacking, landing, still disciplined, which he needs to be. He's often much more aggressive than this. Brilliant defence again from FM. Mayweather winning the round with movement and single shots. Mayweather may toy with Pacquiao now - MP has to go for it. Mayweather 10-9

ROUND 12
They're out for the last round. The fighters hug at the start of it. Perhaps Floyd's feeling well disposed because he's thinking about the rematch payday. Well, now or never.... or maybe we'll come back in a year's time, who knows. There's a straight left from Manny, but Floyd is dancing out of the way, he's enjoying this, and why not, he's got Pac right where he wants him, this is a gentle cruise home barring disasters. Manny's corner not looking too happy. Manny gamely coming forward. And that's it! Both men celebrating at the end.

Live from Las Vegas - That rumbling you hear? It's the entire country saying "We paid $100 for THIS?"

Mayweather outlands Pacquiao 148-81 :(

Now comes my fight and battle. I need to fight my way to the parking garage, find my car, fight the traffic all the way home and then explain to the better haft how much money I LOST tonight. :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom