Flights

EQnoble

I need to take a trip somewhere (US -> US) and am wondering specifically from people who fly a lot, or have flown recently which airlines are currently the best to ride stateside.

I am not looking for 1st class, or some in flight extras...I'm more concerned with having somewhat comfortable seats in a bird with wings that should not have been clipped decades ago.

If anybody has anything enlightening or even remotely related to say please post up asap as I am planning for this weekend with next weekend the latest I can take off.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Is their anything on those sites about the age of the airline's fleets? It's not so much about saving 10 or 20 dollars (which is a very slight fraction of total cost anyways), I just wont pay someone to ride in a hoopty around here any more or less than I would pay for a flight on a plane that is older than I.

Is there anything good from personal experience you can say about any airline?

I don't know of any site that tells the average age of a airlines fleet of planes but a new plane has just as much of a chance of going down as an older one. In fact newer planes are more likely to have issues with various things than older ones cause in the older ones the issues have been found and fixed. It's the same with cars I have personally witnessed a brand new Lincoln Navigator drive for an hour and completely die needing major repairs to be able to run again. I would say go with a more reputable airline such as Delta or American Airlines as their equipment is more likely to be better maintained above and beyond the minimum the FAA requires.

I need to take a trip somewhere (US -> US) and am wondering specifically from people who fly a lot, or have flown recently which airlines are currently the best to ride stateside.

I am not looking for 1st class, or some in flight extras...I'm more concerned with having somewhat comfortable seats in a bird with wings that should not have been clipped decades ago.

If anybody has anything enlightening or even remotely related to say please post up asap as I am planning for this weekend with next weekend the latest I can take off.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

@EQnoble, which airport or airports are you leaving from and heading to?

@EQnoble, which airport or airports are you leaving from and heading to?

Originally I was going to go Hartford to LAX , as one of the things I need to do out there requires me to be in Cali for a short time, but I spoke to someone and have a potential job opportunity where I can actually use the skills I have in (******, check your PM) a neighboring state so I am not opposed to landing at any airport in the general 300-500 mile range of LA since once I get there I have to rent and drive to another state either way.

(If flying becomes a hassle I am just going to drive because if I choose to stay out there I would need to go back to the other coast to pick up my wheels anyways)

On a side note, traffic sucks out there doesn't it?

Speaking of flights, I've been keeping tabs on flight prices from London to Tampa, as I want to visit friends in Sarasota, I really don't understand how the price of a flight (Across all carriers) can drop by as much as this, overnight.
In a few months it'll go back up by the same amount, then increase/decrease by stupid amounts (usually £1-£10) then suddenly will drop again by £900+

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-08-19 15.28.56.webp
    Screenshot 2015-08-19 15.28.56.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 13
Always used to fly jetBlue. I think they've fallen in quality but still better than the rest. Also heard good things about Virgin America but haven't tried it.

I don't know of any site that tells the average age of a airlines fleet of planes but a new plane has just as much of a chance of going down as an older one. In fact newer planes are more likely to have issues with various things than older ones cause in the older ones the issues have been found and fixed. It's the same with cars I have personally witnessed a brand new Lincoln Navigator drive for an hour and completely die needing major repairs to be able to run again. I would say go with a more reputable airline such as Delta or American Airlines as their equipment is more likely to be better maintained above and beyond the minimum the FAA requires.
Looking into it, isn't AA in massive debt though? If it is I would think that running older birds which are less fuel efficient in a day where you have the best price competition would leave less room for preventative maintenance going beyond the base requirements. Obviously I am not a rocket scientist or even a flight mechanic but it still makes me wonder.

Speaking of flights, I've been keeping tabs on flight prices from London to Tampa, as I want to visit friends in Sarasota, I really don't understand how the price of a flight (Across all carriers) can drop by as much as this, overnight.
In a few months it'll go back up by the same amount, then increase/decrease by stupid amounts (usually £1-£10) then suddenly will drop again by £900+
Kinda of off the main reason I put this thread up but....am I understanding this right?

You show an image for a ticket currently $2585 -discounted by $1523? 4000 for that flight normally?

If so, "I will take things that make you not want to fly for $500 Alex".

Thanks everyone for the help with this, I have limited my decision down to being between one airline and driving and am now only making my decisions based on the merits of either route there.

My main considerations are now:

If flying (ticket in the mid 300 range) I must rent a car for days requiring traveling anything more than walking or biking distance @40-70 day and there are three states I have to hit on this trip and rentals also charge you if you pass a certain amount of miles.

I also hate flying (unless you give me the sticks) so taking multiple short flights once out there to hit the other two states is a bit beyond my comfort level, one flight there and back is enough so the travel to the other states on the trip will be by road no matter what.

I also need to consider hotels which are much less simple to filter though as there are way more hotels than airlines. If I fly, it doesn't matter where I stay, but if I drive I have to find a hotel that has a decent parking lot with cameras or just not be a complete hole in the hood because I don't want money saved in one place converting to damages to my vehicle but at the same time I am not a princess and will rest my head anywhere that is not a roach farm or a slaughterhouse.

For my last travels question:
As far as any of you know...is there a better site for room shopping than -> Search Flights, Hotels & Rental Cars on KAYAK ?

If you like multiple short hops or flights, Southwest tends to do that a lot :). I prefer Southwest/JetBlue/Virgin America/American Airlines (no particular order) as they seem to have some of the best services/planes around at the moment.

I kinda despise United at the moment. Delta I'm mixed about at the moment only because everything is centered around Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Seattle, Minneapolis St. Paul, and Detroit, which makes getting in and out for me out of Los Angeles rather difficult.

Top Bottom