Fixed or Fluid? Whats your preference?

surfsup

I actually like Fixed but most 'big boards' i see now a days are all Fluid.....I do find it easier to read and looks less cluttered on fluid boards.

What about you all?

I actually like Fixed but most 'big boards' i see now a days are all Fluid.....I do find it easier to read and looks less cluttered on fluid boards.

What about you all?

I haven't really got a preference but rather the design will have it's preference over what i think is my own personal preference. For example: some designs are better suited as fixed widths whilst others are better suited in a fluid format whilst many will suit work and suit on both.

It depends on the design itself that'll dictate whether it'll be fixed width, fluid and/or both

Either way really works. Fluid works best on larger screens, while I find fixed tends to work better on smaller screens. I am running two styles on my website, one fixed at 1000px another fluid. I kinda regret that decision at times, though....

Either way really works. Fluid works best on larger screens, while I find fixed tends to work better on smaller screens. I am running two styles on my website, one fixed at 1000px another fluid. I kinda regret that decision at times, though....
You regret going fluid or fixed?

Can't see any scenario where fixed would be better, except if you're crazy enough to run a browser maximised on a widescreen monitor or something

(how people can read text that wide I have no idea)

Fixed can look nicer and work better with a theme or header graphic. But otherwise it's fluid all the way for me - much nicer for those with big screens.

Can't see any scenario where fixed would be better, except if you're crazy enough to run a browser maximised on a widescreen monitor or something

(how people can read text that wide I have no idea)
32" HD TV :D

Of course I also zoom in at about 150% :p

I like the look of a fixed style much better than I do with a fluid, but I understand that a fluid style applies to everyone no matter what their screen size.

If I could make my fluid look fixed, that would be cool.

I prefer fluid for forums, fixed for the site. Content on forums is very variable and user based so you want more freedom and flexibility in horizontal space. Forum members can basically change the window width to whatever they like.

For sites, fixed width (or min/max width) allows the admin to have more control over the layout / design.

it doesn't matter...most of the time when at a website as a visitor i find that either is good as long as it doesn't take away from the point of the page (the content).

I am on a 40'' xbr bravia so as far as what I would prefer, it is hard to say...but as Shelley pointed out...it depends on the situation...and if even a stopped clock is right twice a day...than there is bound to be times where fixed is better than fluid and the opposite.

The only way to know is to try both for your unique situation and then put it out there in the wild and ask for feedback...

Top Bottom