First Question ... API docs and/or examples?

Cheesegrits

Hi guys 'n' gals.

Looking forward to getting my teeth into some serious XF mod development.

So the obvious first question ... is there anything by way of API docs or examples yet?

-- hugh

Haven't seen them yet Hugh, but also ready to rock and want to start working on a few things.

I would check the "Have you seen" forum as there are a lot of vids in there and possibly a few links to documents.

Personally, I'd be looking for a "how to create a navigation tab" and "how to create a page" (not like the normal pages, but like one you can use for a modification's end-user part) :)

Ahhhh ok let me see what I can throw together for the navigation tab. Now with the page I believe Floris was working on a video, I could be wrong though.

I'm trying to generate the API/Documentation using phpDocumentor,
but the memory limit (256M) gets exhausted every time.

Any idea how can I generate the docs in "batches" so the limit never gets crossed?

What kind of examples are you looking for?

Glad you asked Steve, 1o1 Idiot Beginners Guide to building a module framework would be great. Have a couple of things I need to port from IPB, and guess others may or may not find a use for them. Still inching around the ACP and the whole node thing is throwing me at the moment ... must get into Kier/Mike speak mode.

I wrote an addon that limits new members from creating a signature until their post count > x. I'll be using this addon as an example of how to create your own. It'll be a step-by-step guide. When you complete it, you will have created a working addon with Admin Options, which uses a Listener to over-ride a function, and generates a permissions error. You will need to have your XF in Debug mode.

I wrote an addon that limits new members from creating a signature until their post count > x. I'll be using this addon as an example of how to create your own. It'll be a step-by-step guide. When you complete it, you will have created a working addon with Admin Options, which uses a Listener to over-ride a function, and generates a permissions error. You will need to have your XF in Debug mode.

You da man Lawrence ... uhmmm debug mode? Something else I will no doubt stumble across in the ACP, once I get pass turning to my fellow Admin and exclaiming "how cool is this" after clicking each option :) Currently having a lot of fun setting up forums, how deep do sub fora go I wonder ...

My first development work will probably be a JFusion plugin, as I can't do anything "real" with XF till I have single-signon with Joomla, as all my sites currently run J! / vB with JFusion providing the glue. So any hints or tips on working with XF authentication would be great.

But really, anything would be good at this point. What Lawrence is describing would be a good start, I look forward to it.

Meanwhile, I'll go back to fighting with PHP on my Centos 5.3 box, can't do diddly squat till I get DOM and SimpleXML installed so I can actually install XF ... and at least the latter seems to be a compile time option, ::sigh::.

-- hugh

I'll start the guide in the morning. Coders can create the addon as we go, and those who are not coders who want the addon to limit signatures can download the zip file to install at the end of the guide.

Top Bottom