Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

imno007

Anyone here playing this? I'm not usually interested in an MMO without strong PvP, but I'd read that the developers will be releasing Frontlines soon, which sounds as if it will have three-faction PvP, DAoC style, and I'd heard a lot of good things about the game (aside from the initial server problems!), so I picked up a copy a couple days ago. I haven't put a lot of time into it, got one character to level 9, just something to unwind with for a couple hours in the evenings, but my first impressions so far are mostly good. Just wondering what some of you might think about, especially those who've been playing it long enough to get a character or two to max level. Are you mostly happy with the game, think it will have long-time appeal...?

One thing I have to confess, that after playing Guild Wars, I'm really missing the active dodge! :LOL:

I'm really liking it! I started playing during Phase 3 of the beta and preordered after my first night playing. I haven't played all that much what with college, but I'm a level 22 archer, 21 weaver, 15 or so in botany, maybe 10 in leatherworker... it's fun to just try a whole bunch of classes.

It's my first MMO so I'm still learning a lot about the culture & everything. Did my first dungeon just recently.

I play on Ultros, btw.

Cool, glad to hear you've liked it enough to stick with it so long. I almost wish it were my first MMO, because in some ways I don't know if you ever enjoy any others as much as the first. You get a little jaded after a while, when you realize all of them share so many elements in common. Not sure yet if this one will keep my interest in the long run, but at least it will be something to play when I'm bored until Elder Scrolls Online is released.

I'm shooting for a Dark Mage (on Siren) with my first character. I usually try to play some kind of healer/support class when I can, but figured it would be nice to start with something different this time and just kill a lot of people, ha ha. Although, come to think of it, this class/job does have a lot of crowd control abilities, so I guess I could still end up doing a lot of support after all. Will be interesting to try pvp for the first time. Like I said above, I'm finding it a little difficult getting used to not being able to dodge any more, so that will take some getting used to. Makes me feel like a walking target when I'm fighting anything!

Anyway, hope your first dungeon run was a good time. That's something else I've yet to try. Right now I just want to ring level 10 so I can leave Limsa Lominsa and check out the other cities. (y)

Anyway, hope your first dungeon run was a good time. That's something else I've yet to try. Right now I just want to ring level 10 so I can leave Limsa Lominsa and check out the other cities. (y)
I've not traveled by foot between Limsa Lominsa and the other cities, but I did the run between Gridania and Ul'Dah at a pretty low level. If my Eorzea geography is right you should be able to sprint through La Noscea into Eastern Thanalan, which you can then travel through to Ul'Dah.

Not long after you get the airship quest (I think it's around level 15 for story quests) you'll get the dungeon quests. That's where I'm at now. :) I'm just a bit ahead in level because I spent a lot of time waiting for a friend so we could do Sastasha together.

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll try traveling on foot to Gridania. I only started out in Limsa Lominsa because I'd read someone's recommendation that I at least get the level 4 healing spell from the Arcanist line, which I thought sounded like a good thing to get right away. Unfortunately, I didn't realize at the time that I'd be stuck there until level 15. Need to start working on the Archer prerequisite now. ;)

I just learned today that you actually can't travel by foot between Limsa Lominsa and Gridania/Ul'Dah since they're on completely different continents. :( The airship quest isn't too far though, if you rush over to it to open up the world it shouldn't take you too long. That's when the game really hooks you I think because there's so much more to do.

Having any kind of healing magic will be really helpful in the early dungeons too, in my first run through Sastasha my Tank and my Healer (curse playing with randos) dropped out, ended up doing the run with just me & the other DPS (who was a Scholar so they had some healing magic).

I just finished the Tam-Tara Deepcroft and Copperbell Mines today, they were good fun. I'm more excited that I'm getting closer to getting a retainer and a Chocobo mount now though.

No worries. I guess it's not that big of a deal, considering you can spec however you want, as long as you have the prerequisites. Just gonna take me a bit longer. If I have a little time to play tonight I should hit level 15 (almost to 14 now), so I'll be able to take off to Gridania at that point.

Have to say it's a nice looking game. I found a beach front area last night and just spent some time in a lounge chair gazing out at the ocean and surrounding scenery. :cool:

No worries. I guess it's not that big of a deal, considering you can spec however you want, as long as you have the prerequisites. Just gonna take me a bit longer. If I have a little time to play tonight I should hit level 15 (almost to 14 now), so I'll be able to take off to Gridania at that point.

Have to say it's a nice looking game. I found a beach front area last night and just spent some time in a lounge chair gazing out at the ocean and surrounding scenery. :cool:
It is lovely! I am playing on the ps3 so things are downgraded a bit, but when the ps4 comes out it'll be full 1080p. Limsa Lominsa & La Noscea in particular are beautiful.

Top Bottom