Resource icon

[FF] Classifieds Enhancements (+ Fixes) 1.1.4

No permission to download

benFF

benFF submitted a new resource:

[FF] Classifieds Enhancements (+ Fixes) - A few enhancements and bug fixes for NixFifty Classifieds

A few useful extensions for NixFifty's Classifieds system - as well as any bug fixes that I spotted.

• Require prefix
    Adds a new option in the category edit page to require a prefix for posted items.
    View attachment 279381
  • Linked prefixes
    Link a classifieds prefix to a thread prefix - so the created thread can use the classifieds prefix, rather than just the category.
    View attachment 279382
  • Prefix filter under category
    List all...

Read more about this resource...

benFF updated [FF] Classifieds Enhancements (+ Fixes) with a new update entry:

Allow renewal of expired listings.

I've added this as a separate release as this is BETA - I don't use a payment system myself so I can't test if that part works (so please check before you set it live and let me know)

However for free packages this should be all gravy.

This update:
  • Makes expired listings visible (for the listing poster and any moderator with the "Edit any listing" permission) in the category listing pages and the "Your listings" page.
  • Adds a "Renew listing" button to the action bar...

Read the rest of this update entry...

@benFF I'll give this a spin shortly. Thinking back years ago one issue I recall was the inability to properly permission posting free vs paid ads. For example new members (group A) can only post by paying (package X,Y), senior members of group B can post free or paid (package X,Y,Z). That would be an awesome enhancement.

Other bugs I recall:
Featured ads did not actually feature/work at all? Maybe my issue.

Other enhancements:
1. Expiring ad notification/email
2. Renew notification/email
3. Navigation enhancements i.e. move key filters such as Type, location etc to the left hand navigation bar (beneath categories). No one uses the filters drop down menu.

Last edited:
I have 1.0.3 installed and there may be a bug or conflict. The other day I went to delete a few Classifieds categories and some content within deleted categories that was expired may have been in there too. The admin area showed two errors, don't remember them, and then it had to run some update as a result of the classifieds changes. It would always error out and then I disabled this add-on and ran the job, it succeeded, then I re-enabled this add-on. FYI

It's a shame you can't remember them! I'll try deleting some categories on my test board and see if they throw an error!

I'm not sure what the routine was that admin needed to run after the deletions. That routine, I'm guessing is part of some counter update or something in the Classifieds add-on was not running due to your add-on I believe.

The other day I went to delete a few Classifieds categories
This was the trigger. Because the "listing thread title" can now use {category} and {type} as replacement vars, if you deleted a category (with items in it) - then there would now be a null object so fail.

Fixed :)

Just realised I hadn't put that in the features list, added now.

• Customize thread title
    If you have enabled the create thread when item posted option, you can now customize the title.
    1673606818638.png

Didn't catch your edit :)

Thinking back years ago one issue I recall was the inability to properly permission posting free vs paid ads. For example new members (group A) can only post by paying (package X,Y), senior members of group B can post free or paid (package X,Y,Z). That would be an awesome enhancement.

Yeah there is no permission code in there at all for this, at present the only way around it is to have 2 categories - and then permission it that way. To change that seems like quite a big mod....

Other bugs I recall:
Featured ads did not actually feature/work at all? Maybe my issue.
I've never used them either, I'll have a look :)

Other enhancements:
1. Expiring ad notification/email
2. Renew notification/email
3. Navigation enhancements i.e. move key filters such as Type, location etc to the left hand navigation bar (beneath categories). No one uses the filters drop down menu.
1 and 2 would be the same email wouldn't they?

There is already a cron job to expire the ads, so I guess that could be easily hooked into to send a "Your ad has expired, click to renew" email at the same time.

3. That's a good idea! Shouldn't need any code edits - basically just move the filter bar from the drop down to a widget.

Inface here is just when I copy and pasted the current template (no html edits and it works)...

1673611957178.webp

I'll add that in to the next update as a new widget.

New widget + code cleanup

• New widget "[FF] Classifieds Enhancements: Listing Filter" to show the filter drop down as a widget instead. Context sensitive (so if you go into a category, it will adjust to only filter the options available inside) - @ichpen
  • Refactored the prefix filter into a repository.
  • Fixed: When the expiry cron runs, the filter counts will also be updated.

Didn't catch your edit :)

Yeah there is no permission code in there at all for this, at present the only way around it is to have 2 categories - and then permission it that way. To change that seems like quite a big mod....

I've never used them either, I'll have a look :)

1 and 2 would be the same email wouldn't they?

There is already a cron job to expire the ads, so I guess that could be easily hooked into to send a "Your ad has expired, click to renew" email at the same time.

3. That's a good idea! Shouldn't need any code edits - basically just move the filter bar from the drop down to a widget.

Inface here is just when I copy and pasted the current template (no html edits and it works)...

View attachment 279910

I'll add that in to the next update as a new widget.
Amazing!
I really need this!

Thank you @benFF

Added cron to update category counts

For some reason, the advert counts in the categories will sometimes just go totally wrong.

I thought this was due to incorrectly expiring adverts in the default crons, but it just happened again to me.

In the interim until I have time to look for the real problem, I've added a new option in the admin panel which will automatically rebuild the counts every hour.

View attachment 281297

Thank you @benFF for these enhancements!

I was thinking if it is possible to add a placeholder to the content box of the listing?
we were thinking of putting some instructions there.

1676550631810.webp
Thanks!!

Any opinions on the top section layout? I think it could be improved. Right now left half is images, right half is basic information. I think this layout could be done better. First off, put the price in parens at end of the Subject. Make images a main event, full width and rotator spans full width scrolling available images or instead have left/right arrows on the main image and allow people to navigate that and do away with the thumbnail slider altogether.

Other ideas, make images 2/3 width, text content on right side narrower at 1/3rd.

Main image full width and thumbnail slider below it.

I took a look at RVTrader to see how they do it for RV's. Maybe compare to other auto sites, etc.

Maybe layout options for Admins to choose from?

A user created a new listing with Type "For Sale" and it should be "Wanted". I see no way to edit the listing and change the TYPE. Not sure if this can be resolved with the enhancements add-on.

Top Bottom