Lack of interest Feeder Post as Guest Option Improvement

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
I love the option in the Feeder that allows the new content to be posted by a guest with the name information gathered from the feed.

What would be even cooler is if it could pull the name from the feed, and if it matches an existing username, it attributes the thread to that user.

This would be super helpful because my site runs on both WordPress (for the blog) and XenForo (for the forums), and the username spit out from the feed info would always match a username in my XenForo database.

I tested things out as is, and it doesn't attribute the thread to the user (it says guest). It would be epic if this could happen! I could then auto-create forum threads for every blog post and the thread author would show up correctly too.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Yeah I've got multiple authors per feed. What I've been doing is setting a default "auto-poster" forum account for the threads, but it would be so much cooler if I could get the authors synced up. It would make it much easier to differentiate the threads, as then the avatars would appropriated correctly. Right now the forum has a bunch of threads all with the same auto-poster account avatar.

Yeah I've got multiple authors per feed. What I've been doing is setting a default "auto-poster" forum account for the threads, but it would be so much cooler if I could get the authors synced up. It would make it much easier to differentiate the threads, as then the avatars would appropriated correctly. Right now the forum has a bunch of threads all with the same auto-poster account avatar.
I will have a look at the code for this.

Would you mind pasting the URL to the feed?

...and the username spit out from the feed info would always match a username in my XenForo database.

Just looking at this for you now, and currently I cannot find any of the author names in WordPress which match their usernames in XenForo.

WordPress outputs them as display names (not usernames)

Esa Juntunen
John Kettler
Dakota Streck
etc.

But their forum names in XenForo are:
badganondorf
Kettler
dakotabeboys
etc.

This might be do-able but the forum name will need to match the Word Press names or vice versa.

So that means your authors in WordPress need to become:
badganondorf
Kettler
dakotabeboys

OR

Your authors in XenForo need to become:
Esa Juntunen
John Kettler
Dakota Streck

The feeder picks up the usernames as the authors, not the WordPress display names. I tested and it creates guests with the usernames, not display names. The usernames match in both WordPress and XF.

I tried it on my local test board and it was definitely the full display names rather than usernames it was pulling through.

And if you look at the XML data. You'll see in red I've highlighted it contains the display name rather than the username.

Rich (BB code):
<channel>
<title>
SixPrizes - Pokemon TCG Tips and Strategy » Underground Content
</title>
<atom:link href="http://www.sixprizes.com/category/underground/feed/" rel="self" type="application/rss+xml"/>
<link>http://www.sixprizes.com</link>
<description>
Share, read, and discuss Pokemon Trading Card Game tips and strategy with the SixPrizes community.
</description>
<lastBuildDate>Mon, 21 May 2012 16:00:40 +0000</lastBuildDate>
<language>en</language>
<sy:updatePeriod>hourly</sy:updatePeriod>
<sy:updateFrequency>1</sy:updateFrequency>
<generator>http://wordpress.org/?v=3.3.2</generator>
<item>
<title>
Eel vs Eel: Comparing and Contrasting Speed and Smeargle Builds
</title>
<link>http://www.sixprizes.com/deck-analysis/eel-vs-eel/</link>
<comments>
http://www.sixprizes.com/deck-analysis/eel-vs-eel/#comments
</comments>
<pubDate>Thu, 17 May 2012 15:14:07 +0000</pubDate>
<dc:creator>Jay Hornung</dc:creator>

If you have regular authors that post articles all the time you could always use the WP author feed. http://www.sixprizes.com/author/Ruiner/feed/
Although I didn't look at how many different authors you had so that could be a pain to set up and possibly be limiting depending on how your categories and forums are set up. If you needed more flexibility one category posting with an user name posting in one place and a post from another category going to another you could give each author a specific tag to use depending on the category and then use the tag feed.

I tried it on my local test board and it was definitely the full display names rather than usernames it was pulling through.
You're right! I when I was testing, the users I was looking at must have used their username as their WordPress display name (which is the same as their XF username), and that's why things were matching up. Not all users are like that though, so I guess I'd have to edit the way the feed is spit out.

It seems like this is going to be more trouble than it's worth, so for now I'll stick to manually changing the author of the threads. It's a little annoying to do that each time, but I'll live, haha. Thanks for looking into it though!
If you have regular authors that post articles all the time you could always use the WP author feed. http://www.sixprizes.com/author/Ruiner/feed/
Although I didn't look at how many different authors you had so that could be a pain to set up and possibly be limiting depending on how your categories and forums are set up. If you needed more flexibility one category posting with an user name posting in one place and a post from another category going to another you could give each author a specific tag to use depending on the category and then use the tag feed.
That is a good idea! The same thing happens though; some of my WP use their username as their display name, and others use their real name, which then doesn't match up with XenForo.

I think it's do-able, but those names have to sync up. So if you ever make that happen I'll happily look at it again :)

You're right! I when I was testing, the users I was looking at must have used their username as their WordPress display name (which is the same as their XF username), and that's why things were matching up. Not all users are like that though, so I guess I'd have to edit the way the feed is spit out.

It seems like this is going to be more trouble than it's worth, so for now I'll stick to manually changing the author of the threads. It's a little annoying to do that each time, but I'll live, haha. Thanks for looking into it though!

That is a good idea! The same thing happens though; some of my WP use their username as their display name, and others use their real name, which then doesn't match up with XenForo.

What I was thinking is in the feeder options set the forum username to the author of the feed that way you don't have to worry about what name is in the feed. Like I mentioned it could be a pain to set up depending on the complexities of your situation.

Top Bottom