feedback on a good 27+ inch monitor for programmers?

Those are expensive...
Its the mercedes of monitors and a monitor is the most important thing for me. Speed is not that important for web programming. I only have experience with EIZO, but NECs are good, too.
My budget is ± 1000$ (it's my career so i don't mind investing on a good monitor)...

The old 30 inch Dell or Apple Monitor is also appreciated by lots of programmers.

Last edited:
Its the mercedes of monitors and a monitor is the most important thing for me. Speed is not that important for web programming. I only have experience with EIZO, but NECs are good, too.

The old 30 inch Dell or Apple Monitor is also appreciated by lots of programmers.

If you think a mercedes is the best car available you're wrong FYI :D
The expression should be Rolls Roys.

Just a word from a petrolhead ;)

The most I've ever spent was about $1,200 for a monitor. I didn't think there were monitors north of 2K like the EIZOs.

Do you really need 4K to be programming or playing video? I have 3D HDTV with ture 1080 p/i HD, with a better refresh rate for less than your 4K monitor.

Using a TV as a monitor is still a bad idea for a number of reasons. Loads of input lag especially in the higher end models - it can even be bad enough to be noticed outside of games, and it will throw off lip sync in videos unless you run your audio through the TV. And then there's the issue of post processing ruining the image quality for things like text, depending on the model and settings.

There's also the common misconception when it comes to TV refresh rates, plus the fact that to reach these marketing-based theoretical refresh rates, it's purely through motion interpolation which dramatically increases the already bad input lag.

Using a TV as a monitor is still a bad idea for a number of reasons. Loads of input lag especially in the higher end models - it can even be bad enough to be noticed outside of games, and it will throw off lip sync in videos unless you run your audio through the TV. And then there's the issue of post processing ruining the image quality for things like text, depending on the model and settings.

There's also the common misconception when it comes to TV refresh rates, plus the fact that to reach these marketing-based theoretical refresh rates, it's purely through motion interpolation which dramatically increases the already bad input lag.
I've never experienced any of those negative affect. Of course I am running the audio through the TV as well.

Random question, but does anyone use F.lux?
I did in the past, but I quit using it because I tend to work at odd hours and was constantly disabling it and it really served no point due to that.

I do use a F.lux like app for Android, but I mostly just e-read on my tablet/phone.

If you're going for a 27" dont bother unless you're getting one at 2560 x 1440 resolution. If you're getting 1960x1080 there really is no point getting a 27", may as well have a 24".

I've personally got 2x Samsung 24" with a RMBP 15" in between the two - I've set the RMBP to full resolution and use that for my main coding, with the other two screens being used for browser, terminal, consoles, etc.

One thing you may want to look at is one that can be turned into a portrait screen - it helps a lot when working on big projects. I've done it myself a few times.

Top Bottom