feedback on a good 27+ inch monitor for programmers?

aculate

totally off topic...

I'm looking to buy a monitor for my 13.3 inch laptop (not a mac). Preferably a 27+ inch monitor. I mostly needed for programming, and occasionally to watch a movie, etc...
I've ask myself, what does the xenforo team use as big monitors? Surely they must use something good...
I remember, along time ago, seeing a photo of Mike or Kier in front of a big monitor and saying to myself, that's the monitor i will buy when i can afford it ...
So, any feedback on a good 27+ inch monitor for programmers? What does the xenForo team use?
My budget is ± 1000$ (it's my career so i don't mind investing on a good monitor)...

Thanks

I really like iiyama ProLite B2712HDS monitors. I use 2 26" and 2 27" monitors.

+1 for iiyama. I have the B2475HDS which after tweaking 1 setting was the closest to perfectly calibrated monitor out of the factory i've ever owned.

never heard of iiyama until now... by the way, i'm in montreal canada. I don't think iiyama ships to where i am...

Seriously, the best monitor you can get is a flat screen HDTV. For starters, the price is going to be less. As soon as you put something under "computer" in a store, the price jumps. If you can use HDMI, you can use a HDTV which will cost you less. 2nd of all the image quality will be better too.

I was looking at the Ultrasharp from Dell... i've heard good things about those monitors. Right now i'm debating whether to go with a mate or a glossy screen...
Not sure wich is best for hours of programming infront of a computer

I've been using a Dell 3008WFP for the past 3 years and love it. 2560x1600 resolution.

Seriously, the best monitor you can get is a flat screen HDTV. For starters, the price is going to be less. As soon as you put something under "computer" in a store, the price jumps. If you can use HDMI, you can use a HDTV which will cost you less. 2nd of all the image quality will be better too.

You can't get an HDTV in any resolution above 1080p. There are some 4K TVs hitting the market but they are too big to use as a monitor and limited to 30Hz, so I can't count those. A lot of computer monitors come with more outputs as well so it really depends on your needs.

I have quad 24" LG LED LCD monitors, 2 via HDMI and 2 via mini DP. Great for serious work on your computer. But my point is, I have always been a fan of Samsung or LG monitors. They last well, have a 3-year zero dead/bright pixel policy and are great to look at. I think nearly all the screens out there are LED back-lit now, but when I got these LED was a luxury.

Dell monitors tend to use LG, Philips or Samsung panels in them which are all great panels, all which have a 3-year zero dead/bright pixels policy, but Dell only has a 15 day policy from what I have heard. The Dell 2707WFP has a Samsung panel, though.

I personally use a Dell U2713HM - it's only 16:9, but the 2560x1440 resolution is plenty for what I do and the panel is absolutely gorgeous. I also have my old Samsung as a secondary monitor.

My quad screens are a bit of a mixed bag of models - two of them are 24EB23PYs (these two I got at the same time just a few months ago). They use mini display ports. One of them is an E2442V and the 4th one is a 24EA53V. These both use HDMI. That's what happens when you can't afford to buy them all at once :p They all line up nicely, though. Just slightly different button locations and a few minor cosmetic differences.

I've been using a Dell 3008WFP for the past 3 years and love it. 2560x1600 resolution.

I can second this monitor, it's great. You get basically the same resolution/size as these 27 inch 2560 x 1440 monitors, but that extra 16:10 aspect gets you the extra vertical space/pixels.

You can't get an HDTV in any resolution above 1080p. There are some 4K TVs hitting the market but they are too big to use as a monitor and limited to 30Hz, so I can't count those. A lot of computer monitors come with more outputs as well so it really depends on your needs.
Do you really need 4K to be programming or playing video? I have 3D HDTV with ture 1080 p/i HD, with a better refresh rate for less than your 4K monitor.

Top Bottom