Featured Resources of Xenforo?

DRE

If "Featured Resources" were enabled for Xenforo and were limited to only 10 resources, which 10 resources in the resource manager do you think should be listed as Featured for Xenforo.com?

1. Install and Upgrade by @Waindigo

2. Member Card View Permissions by @Chris Deeming

3. Promoted Content by @Daniel Hood once he gets this working with Better Blogs and XenGallery. I think this one is tied up with Members Online Auto-Refresh Mine works in 1.2. When I upgrade this it would be feature worthy.

4. BB Codes Buttons Manager by @cclaerhout

5. MediaSites by @EQnoble but I can't find it in the resource manager at the moment.

6. BD Widget Framework by @xfrocks

7. Xenporta by @Jaxel

8. Post Ratings by @Luke Foreman

9. XenGallery by @sonnb

10. Better Blogs by @Rigel Kentaurus

Featuring one resource over another is only going to lead to claims of bias and favouritism and generate ill feeling.
Not to mention some may think that by featuring a particular add-on that XenForo endorses it.

Personally I think it should only be implemented for tip and guide type resources, if at all.

Featuring one resource over another is only going to lead to claims of bias and favouritism and generate ill feeling.
Not to mention some may think that by featuring a particular add-on that XenForo endorses it.

Personally I think it should only be implemented for tip and guide type resources, if at all.
Oh yeah I should've put your conditional's resource in there too. I use that very often.

I think the Resource Manager needs good categories.
The current categories are awkward.

Categories like:
Gallery
Blog
Portal

upload_2013-9-25_12-13-35.webp

You know you have picked a bad method of categorization when You have :
Redirection scripts (only 5) and
Addons (1009) both in the root.

When I look at the Addons
upload_2013-9-25_12-16-45.webp

I still have no idea where to find
Gallery
Blog
Portal

I agree it is hard to come up with categories for Xenforo Addons.
But surely we can do better than the current categories.

Xenforo.com should look at what other software projects have done ... like Joomla
http://extensions.joomla.org

Another way to approach it is .... review what people are searching for in the RM. For the top 10 searches, make sure people have easy access to that information. I suspect Gallery, Blog, Portal are amongst the top 10. People should be able to review the options for those categories without searching.

3. Promoted Content by @Daniel Hood once he gets this working with Better Blogs and XenGallery. I think this one is tied up with Members Online Auto-Refresh Mine works in 1.2. When I upgrade this it would be feature worthy.

Interesting, I didn't get an alert for being tagged here?

I agree with @Brogan, they shouldn't feature resources, especially paid ones. It shows a sense of officialness and then people will be upset if a certain level of support isn't maintained or if there's a bug/security exploit.

Thanks for including me though.

Promoted content is an attempt at making the addons most people are looking for more easily found.
It will always be seen as biased.

I think better categories will help people find what they are looking for in an unbiased way.

How does this show any officialness provided the real official resources are distributed through a completely different channel? Just add at the top a Title that says "Featured resources from our Third Party developers" and that's it

Too much shying away from things. Start thinking about the customer. What would make a better experience for people browsing the resource section? Would they benefit from having a featured section?

And about bias or favoritism, just set the rules ahead of time, be fair, and stick to them. Maybe resources with most downloads this week. Maybe the top rated resource of that week. As long as the rules are clear, laid ahead, and you are following them, no one can complain about favoritism.

vb.org has a "Mod of the Month" section. I love it. Eventually it turned out to highlight some of the best mods that were made by their community.

vb.org has a "Mod of the Month" section. I love it. Eventually it turned out to highlight some of the best mods that were made by their community.
I was going to bring this up as well.
xF Ltd. didn't like the idea previously.
I don't know if I like it either. Probably not.

I do admit doing exactly as you suggest ... looking at previous winners and seeing what they were.

I see Joomla has a "MOTM"
http://extensions.joomla.org/community-choice

This month we have selected 6 winners for our Community Choice Winners of September 2013! How does it work? You can enter your email in the voting pool and each month we will randomly select a set of people to fill out the community choice form to select the next featured extension.

Last edited:
I was going to bring this up as well.
xF Ltd. didn't like the idea previously.
I don't know if I like it either. Probably not.

I do admit doing exactly as you suggest ... looking at previous winners and seeing what they were.
I often didn't have time to weave over all the categories or the mods, and though sorting by downloads, views, or best reviewed helps, a curated list of "the top 12 mods of the year" is incredibly helpful.

And for people recently engaging in XenForo, that didn't have the time to browse the 1000 add-ons that are already submitted one by one it is definitely useful :)

Reactions: HWS
And about bias or favoritism, just set the rules ahead of time, be fair, and stick to them. Maybe resources with most downloads this week. Maybe the top rated resource of that week. As long as the rules are clear, laid ahead, and you are following them, no one can complain about favoritism.
No matter how it's done, if one portal/blog/gallery add-on is featured over others first, that is going to result in lots of additional interest for that portal/blog/gallery.

The developers of the other portal/blog/gallery add-ons are rightly going to feel annoyed.

The current system works well as far as I am concerned; those add-ons with good ratings bubble up to the top of their respective categories.

The easiest way to have "favorite" resources is to have an algorithm that everyone can understands. Like most downloaded, best rated. Like we have here now. I think there are certainly some more algorithms that would help like most downloaded in last month, a combination of download and rating etc.

If "Featured Resources" were enabled for Xenforo and were limited to only 10 resources, which 10 resources in the resource manager do you think should be listed as Featured for Xenforo.com?

None.

Agree with Brogan, my first thought was which add-ons (resources) will be featured, why were they featured over others and it would bring an element of favouritism which would leave resource providers feeling annoyed. The featured Guides gets a thumbsup, guides that actually help people to learn thus the resources that essentially allow users to educate themselves looks like a win/win to me.

Some of y'all care way too much about what other people "think" and not so much what other people "need". Noobs need that good stuff mayne. Xenforo is lacking more than some of the forum solutions we came from. With a point in the right direction, they'd have a good portal, blog, album, shop and all-in-one installer.

Some of y'all care way too much about what other people "think" and not so much what other people "need". Noobs need that good stuff mayne. Xenforo is lacking more than some of the forum solutions we came from. With a point in the right direction, they'd have a good portal, blog, album, shop and all-in-one installer.

Customers will get the good stuff. Top resources, more popular display in each category so it's not likely that they'll miss anything in the resource department since add-ons are kept up-to-date and generally (brogan put it nicely) "bubble their way to the top". Guides are generally written and then left for users to find them so I think these would be more of a benefit and still think they would benefit the users that wants to learn more more than resources that are in a top-x sideblock already.

I haven't thoroughly read through this thread so I don't know how they will use the feature resource so we will just have to wait and see they may very well promote feature resources.

Customers will get a bunch of resources that will screw their site up and they'll cry about it in threads and annoy developers so much some will stop making free addons and only make paid and then there are some who are so appalled at customer's reaction it makes them not want to release their addons and just keep it to themselves. Did I say will? That already happened.

Alright so if I could compare Xenforo to a game system what would it be? The mod team is first party development, resource authors who do really good for themselves on here are like 3rd party developers and peeps that are barely making it with only a couple being awesome out the gate are like indie game developers. Just a rhetorical question but one thing those game system companies all have in common is they all feature games from both first party and third party developers in their advertisements in hopes of getting more consumers to buy their products.

So apply that to Xenforo and you'll see that some of our ridiculously awesome addons that are better than the addon versions on other forum softwares are not getting the shine they deserve because they slip under the radar and are not being promoted in any kind of way. We got sleeper hits on here and the developers are suffering for it. If some of these really good addons were featured every now and then it would really help them out and make Xenforo look good at the same time. That mod of the month voting type system that was on vBulletin and Showcase was a good idea.

Top Bottom