Feature Videos

MistyMeanor

I have a suggestion... while a lot of people may not find this useful as the types of members they get may be pretty versed with using forums like vB or XF, for forums like mine, the majority of members have NEVER been a members of these types of forums and sometimes need a lot of guidance. My forum is for people with neuromuscular diseases and most are only familiar with posting in FB group pages.

Anyway... I was looking at a lot of the videos made for XF 1.3 that highlighted the new enhancements. As a forum admin, these were really cool for me to see. But I think it would be totally awesome if someone made videos that were pertinent JUST to things related to "How To's" that are dedicated totally to MEMBERS.

Just kind of like video tutorials that showed off some of the cool and awesome things that can be done on the forums that highlights all the different and awesome features XF offers to members and their usage. Some members just never explore all the different things they can do.

I was looking at all the videos, hoping to find some I could share with my members, especially relating to some of the new features of 1.3 and unfortunately for me, they all had mostly to do with back-end stuff that obviously the regular members, and even my moderators either don't care about, or is beyond their scope.

It would be really cool if Admin's could come here to the XF forums and there was a forum dedicated to just "How To" videos that could then be shared on the Admin's forums. I have a FAQ area right now called "Did You Know?..." where I try to use screen shots and type out to show different features and things that can be done on the forum, but again, this takes a little digging to even find this area in FAQ! LOL! So I may have to re-work that idea!

I doubt this is a request that will be taken in to consideration, but I still wanted to put it out there as an idea that could help and just be a useful resource to some Admins and their members, maybe not all... or even many... but some. :)

I have a Have You Seen...? section on my website where I explain new features with screenshots. I like to do this myself as I can then use screenshots of my own forum rather than those of Xenforo.

I've not made any videos as my personal preference is text and screenshots, not just in producing them but also in learning from tutorials done this way rather than video format.

I have always been impressed with the "Have You Seen?" videos. They are really well put together, especially when it comes to introducing a new feature as a concept. It's possible some of the videos are relevant to members too.

I have a suggestion... while a lot of people may not find this useful as the types of members they get may be pretty versed with using forums like vB or XF, for forums like mine, the majority of members have NEVER been a members of these types of forums and sometimes need a lot of guidance. My forum is for people with neuromuscular diseases and most are only familiar with posting in FB group pages.

Anyway... I was looking at a lot of the videos made for XF 1.3 that highlighted the new enhancements. As a forum admin, these were really cool for me to see. But I think it would be totally awesome if someone made videos that were pertinent JUST to things related to "How To's" that are dedicated totally to MEMBERS.

Just kind of like video tutorials that showed off some of the cool and awesome things that can be done on the forums that highlights all the different and awesome features XF offers to members and their usage. Some members just never explore all the different things they can do.

I was looking at all the videos, hoping to find some I could share with my members, especially relating to some of the new features of 1.3 and unfortunately for me, they all had mostly to do with back-end stuff that obviously the regular members, and even my moderators either don't care about, or is beyond their scope.

It would be really cool if Admin's could come here to the XF forums and there was a forum dedicated to just "How To" videos that could then be shared on the Admin's forums. I have a FAQ area right now called "Did You Know?..." where I try to use screen shots and type out to show different features and things that can be done on the forum, but again, this takes a little digging to even find this area in FAQ! LOL! So I may have to re-work that idea!

I doubt this is a request that will be taken in to consideration, but I still wanted to put it out there as an idea that could help and just be a useful resource to some Admins and their members, maybe not all... or even many... but some. :)
Do you mean as a generic video for XF features? I like the idea of the videos.

Yes @wedgar, EXACTLY! Or multiple videos that highlight the features to members.
I haven't done videos for training on our forums, but did user our webinar subscription to do a session for our moderators to show them features they could use. There is a video recording feature in that subscription that could be used. I'd be willing to work with someone in making something for training, unless there is a better tool to use.

I actually did a few tutorial videos for the forum I run. Similar to you, I run a Diabetes forum that mostly has older members that aren't really computer experts and often struggle to use anything that isn't email or Facebook. It's not too difficult to create these by using a screen capture software and a microphone. I just edited the different parts together using Adobe Premiere Pro.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The videos themselves are nothing special and I really only give the very basic steps on how to sign up and contribute to the forum. I think the reason there's no official end user guides for XF is probably that virtually all forums look and feel different.

I haven't done videos for training on our forums, but did user our webinar subscription to do a session for our moderators to show them features they could use. There is a video recording feature in that subscription that could be used. I'd be willing to work with someone in making something for training, unless there is a better tool to use.

@wedgar I would be curious to see the Webinar subscription you did for your moderators. I would like to have videos separated to both Staff and regular member videos. Because honestly, I just don't have the time to train all my mods and most have to wing it and try to learn on their own. I don't have many mods right now, but plan on hiring more, and like I said before... most of my members, including staff have never used a forum like this.

I actually did a few tutorial videos for the forum I run. Similar to you, I run a Diabetes forum that mostly has older members that aren't really computer experts and often struggle to use anything that isn't email or Facebook. It's not too difficult to create these by using a screen capture software and a microphone. I just edited the different parts together using Adobe Premiere Pro.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The videos themselves are nothing special and I really only give the very basic steps on how to sign up and contribute to the forum. I think the reason there's no official end user guides for XF is probably that virtually all forums look and feel different.

@Giverny this is WONDERFUL!! Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I have a Mac and I know I could put this all together myself pretty easily to make tutorial videos of all kinds. I just simply don't have the time is the problem as I work FT as well.

If someone was willing to work with and essentially FOR me, I would even consider hiring someone to do nothing but tutorial videos for me. If anyone would be interested in discussing this further with me, send me a PC. I would LIKE to set up a page or something special on my forum that could be filled with nothing but video tuts.

Top Bottom