Feature included in xenforo

pilot823

What are the package features when you buy xenForo? Were getting ready to move a very popular sports forum away from vbulletin. I understand about the special addons I can choose to install or add if I want. Searching for the bare bone all ready included in xenForo.

Thanks

Thanks I was thinking more in line with what may be missing in xenForo that vbulletin includes. Even with a large sports forum we never did any addons. We ran vbulletin bare out of the box and never seen the need to use any addons. We started the forum using Matt Scripts guest book and turn it into a forum way back in 1996. We move to Yabb 1999 and have used a few other forum software before we moved over to vbulletin. But unless vbulletin does a complete rewrite it's time to move on.

Thanks I was thinking more in line with what may be missing in xenForo that vbulletin includes.
I would think that most things bulletin includes that xenforo doesn't is most likely to not be "must have" apart from people who got used to things in bulletin and don't like change :)

What is more important is what you get in the core that isn't in vbulletin, and (for me) that is

• responsive design and ACP
  • a way easier permission system (learning curve as it is radically different)
  • alert notification flags
  • spam cleaner
  • much better moderator features
  • PMs are conversations instead of individual messages in an inbox/outbox
  • upgrades tend to not break your style every time
  • SEO is better
There was a tiny bit of whingeing from a few people when I migrated, mostly (as I said) because thing were different. But what I do know is if I switched back, there would be many howls of rage.

What was the biggest probelm you and your members had to overcome?

The only problem for some members was getting to grips with the fact that they really don't need Tapatalk any more. (Although I think you can have it on xenforo). I hate TT and couldn't wait to ditch it.

For me:

Converting CMS articles to resources (there may be an importer for that though but I wasn't aware there might be at the time)

What I did though was copy and paste the articles, but there was only a handful tor two. Those by other members I used a change author addon. Then made sure I had redirects in .htaccess

Dealing with PMs.

No problem if you don't want to limit the number, but I needed an addon that allows a conversation quota, and the only one I now of is paid for and is quite expensive if all you need it for is the inbox quota. If you can persuade your members to export and delete their PMs (in and out) before the migration it could be useful. If you do want a conversation quota, you then need another addon for exporting.

Media embeds

Not a big problem this, but you need to search and replace youtube embeds, there's a really good addon which will do this and you only need to run it once.

If you don't mine sharing? How big was your forum?

Much smaller than yours, about 4000 members 20,000 posts.

Thanks Mr Lucky! I Truly believe the one reason my forum is popular is because of all the great members and we have a clean simply forum without all the whistles. But at the same time, just by looking at my Facebook group that has over 2,000 members I'm notice a change in what are members want. And I really think xenForo give more of that look and feel to the members. Thanks to everyone with your help

Top Bottom