Fear The Wrath of Google

Does seem odd that this is legal.. As stated in the article imagine the telephone company refusing to list a business in the phone book for whatever reasons.
Then again its a good reminder to keep your eggs in multiple baskets.

I think the decision is legit...they are a private company and google search is a free tool just like every other search engine out there. If I ran one and people (especially ones who already were getting solid search hits) were gaming the system making it harder for the little guy who may also have good content to catch any rec I would remove them from search results as well.

I think the decision is legit...they are a private company and google search is a free tool just like every other search engine out there. If I ran one and people (especially ones who already were getting solid search hits) were gaming the system making it harder for the little guy who may also have good content to catch any rec I would remove them from search results as well.
I didn't realize Google was still private. Still surprises me that they would go this route.. I couldn't imagine General Motors or another to large to fail equity going down like that..

I didn't realize Google was still private. Still surprises me that they would go this route.. I couldn't imagine General Motors or another to large to fail equity going down like that..
Private in the sense that they are not a public service (like your sewers or running water or gas or whatever which cant deny you service as long as you dont owe them money)....they provide a free service to the public which they can pick and choose if they really wanted to...(they are a traded company though)

I also don't think GM is doing what rapgenius was doing for their rankings and I am sure if GM did something against the TOS set by google that the outcome would have been the same.

Last edited:

They weren't delisted, but penalized (i.e., they just don't rank highly for certain terms). This happens all the time to sites that build links in an unnatural way, regardless of their size or brand recognition. Interflora being the most recent example, but JC Penny and Reddit also come to mind, as well.

These penalties are temporary (e.g., -50 lasts about 30 days).

its because someone snitched. *******s. if you can get good discussions going and build quality social signals you're game. I don't know of any forums that have gotten hit by google. MAYBE if you get users to spam the crap out of your site with profile backlinks.. but even if that is the case you can have the profiles hidden unless you're logged in.

its because someone snitched. *******s.
RapGenius was trying to get people to post links to their Justin Bieber lyrics.

That snitch was like the grown-up version of this kid:

1535511_10153627912100058_804764240_n.jpg

I had trouble finding Beyonce's song 'Drunk in Love' lyrics. Wanted to look up Jay-Z's verses.

The reason why Rap Genius is better than most lyric sites is because people attempt to explain the lyrics.

But alas, I couldn't find it with searches like 'beyonce drunk in love lyrics rap genius' or 'beyonce drunk in love lyrics rapgenius' or 'beyonce drunk in love lyrics rapgenius.com'

That's pretty bad, so when I was about to go directly to their site to find it, I found this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/rap-genius-traffic-drops-2013-12

screen%20shot%202013-12-31%20at%208.54.50%20am.png

Ouch...

I found it though! http://rapgenius.com/Beyonce-drunk-in-love-lyrics

3ec89686f8936a0ab42fc3551968c3dd.500x281x21.gif

Last edited:
Should have searched for-
Code:
beyonce drunk in love lyrics site:rapgenius.com
Brings it right up. Site: tells Google to only look on the specified domain.

Top Bottom