FB Share image on a site

Kim

Hi all,

I have no idea if this is a support issue, or just a general question, so feel free to move if necessary.

On one of my clients sites, the image that comes up when he shares the link in Facebook is an Advertisment from his forum.. nothing to do with the actual clients site at all.

Is there any possible thing that can be done to change this image? Is it indeed anything to do with Xenforo...

Any help or advice is appreciated :)

Kim

erm... no I don't think so.. but then I know nothing about FB.

His site is showing one of the ADs from his site as the Facebook thumbnail when he shares the link on Facebook.

Example...

He sends someone a message on Facebook, with a link to his site... the link gets converted into a preview image thing with a description.. the image that is showing is an Advertisment that he has on his site for another site.

fbstuffup.webp

erm... no I don't think so.. but then I know nothing about FB.

His site is showing one of the ADs from his site as the Facebook thumbnail when he shares the link on Facebook.

Example...

He sends someone a message on Facebook, with a link to his site... the link gets converted into a preview image thing with a description.. the image that is showing is an Advertisment that he has on his site for another site.

View attachment 15767
What happened to the contents of the open_graph_meta template? He has Like buttons on there, but no <meta content="og: ... " /> tags, which is going to cause problems. Perhaps the template was removed or altered as part of the style customization?

http://developers.facebook.com/tools/lint/?url=http://pegasusforum.com/index.php

Kim are you talking about the logo.og.png not being used?
Mine does the same thing when I share a thread on my site. I can't get FB to use the logo.og.png image.

Update - Peggy, your problem is limited to your homepage, if you check the linter for http://mahoningvalleytalk.com/forum/ you'll see that it has the correct meta tags.

To fix the problem, you need to edit the template for your homepage and add the following code:
HTML:
<xen:container var="$head.openGraph"><xen:include template="open_graph_meta" /></xen:container>
That should resolve your issues.

Kier I've had this issue long before I added the portal to my site. Brogan and I have posted back and forth about it before.
But I'll give this a try and see if it works. Thanks.

Not that I am aware of, it is certainly not something I have changed or edited at all.

The style is showing no out of date templates.
Difficult to debug the problem from the outside. Send me an admin login and I'll take a look.

Kier, I added that code here - I hope this was the correct place to add it? :)

Code:
<xen:h1>{$xenOptions.boardTitle}</xen:h1>

<xen:container var="$head.canonical"><link rel="canonical" href="{xen:link 'canonical:portal'}" /></xen:container>
<xen:container var="$head.description"><meta name="description" content="{$xenOptions.boardDescription}" /></xen:container>
<xen:container var="$quickNavSelected">portal</xen:container>
[B]<xen:container var="$head.openGraph"><xen:include template="open_graph_meta" /></xen:container>[/B]
<xen:require css="EWRporta.css" />
<xen:if is="{$xenOptions.EWRporta_breakout}"><xen:require css="EWRporta_BreakOut.css" /></xen:if>

<xen:if is="{$blocks.top}">
<div class="sidebar topBlocks">
    <xen:foreach loop="$blocks.top" value="$block">
        {xen:raw $block}
    </xen:foreach>
</div>
</xen:if>

ugh I did, and these properties are still missing -

Required Property Missing og:title is required
Required Property Missing og:url is required

ugh I did, and these properties are still missing -

Required Property Missing og:title is required