Favicon?

Travis

How do we install a Favicon? Does it have to go in a certain folder,because I put it in the Forum Root,but no luck.

Hopefully this will save someone else as much grief as it saved me.

The "Live Update" modification actually updates your notifications as well as your favicon. It was instantly noticed on my site when I added this modification. Just another amazing modification to further this community by @Chris Deeming

Browsers love to cache those images, so you might not see the new image in your browser if you have already bookmarked it.

Also, I often have to add a reference to the page head:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> PAGE_CONTAINER

Rich (BB code):
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html id="XenForo" class="Public {xen:if {$visitor.user_id}, 'LoggedIn', 'LoggedOut'}">
<head>
    <meta charset="utf-8" />
    <xen:if is="{$requestPaths.fullBasePath}"><base href="{$requestPaths.fullBasePath}" /></xen:if>

<title><xen:if is="{$title}">{xen:raw $title} | {$xenOptions.boardTitle}<xen:else />{$xenOptions.boardTitle}</xen:if></title>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css.php?css=xenforo,form,public&amp;style={xen:urlencode $_styleId}&amp;d={$visitorStyle.last_modified_date}" />
    <!--XenForo_Require:CSS-->

<xen:include template="google_analytics" />
    <xen:include template="page_container_js_head" />

<xen:if is="{$pageDescription.content} AND !{$pageDescription.skipmeta} AND !{$head.description}"><meta name="description" content="{xen:string wordTrim, {xen:helper stripHtml, {xen:raw $pageDescription.content}}, 200}" /></xen:if>
    <xen:if is="{$head}"><xen:foreach loop="$head" value="$headElement">{xen:raw $headElement}</xen:foreach></xen:if>
    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://xenforo.com/favicon.ico">
</head>
<body>

Change the HREF appropriately.

I have done this @Jake Bunce - however, in my ACP I see the favicon, but on the forum home page, I do not. Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 5.24.29 AM.webp

Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 5.24.38 AM.webp

I too have often found it necessary to define it in the <head>. Probably due to browser caching. The explicit location can be defined or changed in the <head> to defeat caching which is often a problem for favicon images. But theoretically, yes, you only need to replace the image itself in the default location of the web root.

however, in my ACP I see the favicon, but on the forum home page, I do not. Thoughts or suggestions?

In Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> PAGE_CONTAINER
I use this one:
<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/favicon.ico">
</head>

With the above code should be work both in the admin area & forum home page

I can vouch for the fact that adding the link into PAGE_CONTAINER is sometimes necessary to make the browser recache.

In my case I switched from favicon.ico to favicon.png as it can look better

@Jake Bunce, I set to favicon.ico but when I try to post to facebook it still displays XenForo opengraph icon.

I've setup my opengraph icon as well.

Now the condition is like this:
Code:
<link rel="shorcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://forum.domain.tld/images/logo-og.png" />

@Jake Bunce, I set to favicon.ico but when I try to post to facebook it still displays XenForo opengraph icon.

I've setup my opengraph icon as well.

Now the condition is like this:
Code:
<link rel="shorcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://forum.domain.tld/images/logo-og.png" />

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Style Properties -> Header and Navigation -> Facebook Open Graph Logo

Top Bottom