XF 2.0 Favicon and metadata logo dimensions

Mr Lucky

I'm a bit confused about the best dimensions an aspect ratio for these. I presume favicon 32 x 32 as that is what is mentioned in style properties

xenforo previously recommended at least 200 x 200 for opengraph logo, but now there is no dimension recommended for metadata logo.

I have seen several sites recommending the best aspect ratio for facebook is approx 1.91/1, so I have tried changing my my metadata logo to 1200 x 630, and that seems to work nicely when it shows up on facebook, however the metadata logo seems to be showing as the logo in Firefox bookmark toolbar as a square, but the favicon is showing in the tab.

I also notice that with this forum, the logo in the bookmark seems to be different to the tab, I presume it's the same favicon in tab and (small/cropped and illegible) metadata logo in the bookmark:

logos.webp

(I thought that should also be showing the favicon but then I presume we don't have control over what Firefox does.)

Any know what is the best option for these?

The metadata logo is generally quite generic and used by various services, so there isn't really a particular recommended, though historically this certainly has been square. We do use the metadata logo for an icon for iOS which is specifically square.

I have to say I don't understand why Firefox is using the metadata logo in that position. It doesn't really make any sense given the site.

Just done some tests, and it seems the best thing is to have it square for some instances, but also have it so that it makes sense when cropped like it is in Facebook, which takes off the top and bottom to leave the middle rectangle:

So I've made mine a compromise so it works both ways:

metadata-fb.webp

Top Bottom