Facebook makes PHP 9x faster via virtual machine (HHVM?)

I asked them on their Facebook page and one of the developers said that they do support namespaces.

Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 9.06.06 PM.webp

Tried hip hop on a dev box. Still really buggy and server crashed running xf installer. J have since found out Facebook only uses this on their beta servers still

Me: Do you know of any forums that are running on HHVM?

HipHop for PHP: Depends on what you mean by "forums". If you mean actual hosted message exchanging services that are using HHVM now on production machine... well, I suppose facebook.com counts....

If you mean "installable forum apps", there are a few. We've been testing github's "top 20" php projects and using them as a kind of guiding light for what runtime support needs to be focused on most. Wordpress runs (nearly) out of the box, Mediawiki runs by default, Cake and Symfony are both really close, as is Drupal. I'll put an asterix by most of those, however, as they tend to support 3rd party modules and we haven't tested every single one out there (nor could we).

Tried hip hop on a dev box. Still really buggy and server crashed running xf installer. J have since found out Facebook only uses this on their beta servers still
HipHop for PHP: "Not true. We're running 100% of production traffic on HHVM and have been since Feb (HPHPc for a few years before that which much of HHVM is inherited from)."

In response to my question about Xenforo forums they said:

HipHop for PHP: We haven't tested Xenforo, but we have tried out some of Zend Framework and are still working through some of the incompatibilities there. It is on our "top 20" list of projects to get working though.

Last edited:
Well is anyone else going to ask the next questions cause I don't think I'm the right person to even be talking to them about the Zend Framework.

I would hope they pay us back by making PHP 9x faster , seen as they made the internet 10x worse with that narcissistic crap they call a website that has crept into everything like a virus vacuuming up data. I hope it joins myspace as a novelty that wore off , added to a timberlake portfolio.

Last edited:
I would hope they pay us back by making PHP 9x faster , seen as they made the internet 10x worse with that narcissistic crap they call a website that has crept into everything like a virus vacuuming up data. I hope it joins myspace as a novelty that wore off , added to a timberlake portfolio.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Had a try at this setting up XenForo with HHVM as well.
At the moment, the /install/index.php page is displaying the following error:
Code:
An exception occurred: No entry is registered for key 'db' in /var/www/syncat/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php on line 917

XenForo_Application::get() in XenForo/Application.php at line 1294
    XenForo_Application::getDb() in XenForo/Error.php at line 45
    XenForo_Error::unexpectedException() in XenForo/Application.php at line 362
    XenForo_Application::handleException()

While in the specified error log, HHVM is displaying this:
Code:
HipHop Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Zend_Exception' with message 'No entry is registered for key 'requestPaths'' in /var/www/syncat/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php:917\nStack trace:
#0 /var/www/syncat/public_html/library/XenForo/Link.php(906): XenForo_Application::get()
#1 /var/www/syncat/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(576): XenForo_Link::convertUriToAbsoluteUri()
#2 /var/www/syncat/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(158): XenForo_FrontController->renderView()
#3 /var/www/syncat/public_html/install/index.php(18): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#4 {main}

However, this was using the prebuilt packages, which are over a month old. I'll try to compile from source (which is, at the time of writing, exactly four minutes old. Such outdatedness!) and post the results of that here later.

Managed to setup FasterCGI with HHVM on Ubuntu 12.04, was really easy. Although XenForo doesn't like not having MySQLi so I'll have to find some way to install it.

cZqdYFM.png

It seems to work with PDO. Add
Code:
$config['db']['adapter'] = 'pdo_mysql';
to the config.php

However there are problems with some plugins (i.e. XenPorta) when using PDO.

It seems to work with PDO. Add
Code:
$config['db']['adapter'] = 'pdo_mysql';
to the config.php

However there are problems with some plugins (i.e. XenPorta) when using PDO.
Can you list some of the addons your having problems with please? Not all of us use Xenporta or Jaxel's addons.

Top Bottom