1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenforo on HHVM

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by DRE, Jul 31, 2013.

1. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Any of you got Xenforo running on Facebook's HHVM Virtual Machine? It has no namespace support which will only affect certain addons but I have no idea which addons it would affect. I made a paid request earlier about moving from shared hosting to VPS but now I'm thinking of experimenting with HHVM. I will either install it myself and experiment and if it gets to confusing I'll pay someone to do it. I just like experimenting and want to try something new.

"HipHop 2.1.0 released on GitHub[1] and as a prebuilt Ubuntu package[2]. As always, let us know if you have any trouble!"

[1] https://github.com/facebook/hiphop-php/releases/tag/HPHP-2.1.0
    [2] http://dl.hiphop-php.com/ubuntu/
  2. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

I wonder if this can be combined with LiteSpeed Web Server.
  3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Grab you a low end VPS and set it up. Doesn't look like it would be that hard to do (and I may try it out on my 2GB VPS that I have running my WordPress blogs).
  4. farmglitch

farmglitch Active Member

I have a free machine someone can use with a static ip to test this out on if they want. Its a cheap old windows 7 computer but it runs an xampp server on it just fine. I am very interested in this being that it can speed up a system. If your interested just inbox me.
  5. lsmichael

lsmichael Member

Not yet. It's on the horizon — within sight, but not right at the top of the to do list.

Alfa1 likes this.
  6. Crazy-Achmet

Crazy-Achmet Active Member

How is this going on?

Has someone a HHVM running with XenForo?
  7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Note that PHP 7 is equally fast as HHVM.
  8. Xon

Xon Well-Known Member

XenForo does a couple of things that probably don't play nicely with the current version of HHVM.
    • The usage of extract() to push a hash table of template variables into the function as local variables will hurt performance.
    • When templates are written to file, All templates are actually injected into the same class method via include(). Which makes some classes of optimizations for that function vastly harder.
    • Eval() to create class proxies which aren't persisted, means class type data is constantly churning.

The dynamic aspects of php are the hardest to optimize for, and XF already does a bunch of things to reduce the performance penalty of permitting a highly dynamic system.