XF 2.0 Facebook Login

Mr Lucky

Is it just me, or is it incredibly complicated to set up facebook login?

I had assumed all I had to do was add the domain to my developer app, then put the ID and secret in the Account Providers settings.

But there seems to also be a whole load of stuff at the Facebook app, even the quickstart I find not very obvious how it works.

It is what it is, unfortunately. Their set up process is certainly a lot more meaty than any of the others. The same system to set up a web based OAuth app is the same system where you'd have to set up their mobile app integration and all sorts of other things so I guess there has to be a lot to it, though it has progressively gotten more and more complicated over the years.

We updated the manual page recently so that might help:
https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/connected-accounts/#facebook

Why would you want to use Facebook log in anyway, especially in light of recent news and revelations?
From what I understand, please correct me if wrong, if a FB user logs into any website using the FB api then it allows FB to data mine not only the user's path throughout the site but also any other content and user information.

If a member cannot log in using a username and password there's little hope for them once inside :)

Why would you want to use Facebook log in anyway, especially in light of recent news and revelations?
From what I understand, please correct me if wrong, if a FB user logs into any website using the FB api then it allows FB to data mine not only the user's path throughout the site but also any other content and user information.

If a member cannot log in using a username and password there's little hope for them once inside :)

I agree, it's just something I set up when I got xenforo thinking it was useful for members.

Now I find that it has never worked anyway and noboady has complained.

Twitter does work fine though without jumping through all the hoops.

Top Bottom